Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm just in AS unit 1 and I encounter the term of cystic fibrosis, I just remembered a certain disease similar to it which I normally heard as sinus

I've tried searching online and websites says that patients with cystic fibrosis show sinus properties (something like that)

So is there a clear difference between these two?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IsabelleYWY)
    I'm just in AS unit 1 and I encounter the term of cystic fibrosis, I just remembered a certain disease similar to it which I normally heard as sinus

I've tried searching online and websites says that patients with cystic fibrosis show sinus properties (something like that)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If by sinus you mean sinusitis, this is a symptom of viral infection such as from some flu viruses. It generally is identified by pain in the sinus region, ie pain in the nose, around eyes, possibly forehead, etc. it's sort of a deeply located pain rather than a pain on the tip of your nose.

Cystic fibrosis is very different and a lot more serious. It is a genetic disease (recessive) so is inherited. It results in faulty Chloride channels in the cells of the respiratory tract (lung, 'wind pipe') and causes a greater production/secretion of mucus (urm...phlegm that lines the throat to trap bacteria, which the cilia then propel up towards the mouth so you can spit out the green goo). As there is too much mucus (which is unusually thick), this can overwhelm the body and block the tract causing suffocation. It also doesn't get moved out sufficiently, meaning that the bacteria trapped in the mucus stay in the body for longer - more respiratory tract infections.
    It's a complicated disease, which is very tough on the patient. Life expectancy is lower than other people.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Study Helper
    (Original post by IsabelleYWY)

"Sinus" or "sinus fibrosis" isn't a disease. In anatomy, a "sinus" is just a 'space' in a tissue, and the ones relevant to cystic fibrosis are the "paranasal sinuses". They do lots of things that you can read about here.

Cystic fibrosis is a genetic disease that affects a variety of organ systems, and one of the big things that happens in the disease is that people get a big build up of really thick mucus in their respiratory tract, and their body can't get rid of it like it usually would - this mucus acts as a great place for bacteria to grow and they get lots of infections.
    The paranasal sinuses get filled up with this thick mucus, too, so they develop sinus infections as well as lung infections, and it can lead to lots of inflammation and pain in the sinuses (this sort of thing is called 'sinusitis') - these are the "sinus properties" shown in cystic fibrosis that the websites you've found are talking about.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.