Change From Yr11 To Sixth Form Watch

dancingshoes10
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've got the problem of not knowing where to go for A level. I'm a private school which has a 6th form but I can't decide whether to stay there or go to a college. I would probably do better staying where I am as I know all the teachers and the classes are really small, but the social life and atmosphere would be much better at a college. I change my mind every day. Anyone have any advice on what I should do!?
Number6
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
One of my friends was in that position last summer and chose to go to college to do a childcare BTEC. She's loving the course but I don't think she's made many new friends, but that's probably because she's not that outgoing (which may or may not be a problem for you). I stayed on into sixth form and it's completely different to last year. I feel way more comfortable and feel like I've found my niche this year.

In terms of the atmosphere and social life etc. I've found that much better than last year but also better than I think I would have done at college.This is probably because most of my friends stayed on at school so I got invited to their parties (), whereas I wouldn't have known anybody at college. I also get on well with most of the upper sixth and most of the teachers understand work isn't the only thing in people's lives (but also that you're mature enough to work as well as partying) so they're more relaxed about, well, you discovering adult life I guess.

Also bear in mind the quality of local colleges and the courses on offer.

So, the conclusion of my ramble is: stay where you are. You say yourself you would probably do better at your sixth form, and you'll probably find next year a lot different to GCSEs. Besides, if you really hate it you could always change early in September
jessyfantastic90
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i really hated sixth form in september i contemplated going to college because i thought i would have a better social life . I hated, but later adjusted to the fact that we had a dress code which was smart casual wear, meaning we couldn't wear jeans ,trainers and later pumps arrgh. My school is soo difficut they changed the dress code again to smart business wear meaning we have to dress as if we are going to an interview for school,we can't even wear cords,shorts ,leggins or footless tights because apparently they look ugly....i ts alright though now but i found out the hard way that you had to know the subjects in depth rather than just memorising it.
plopSDCSDC
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I hated it at the start. I mean at the moment...its ok, not amazing not awful. I just don't like some of the new girls at our sixth fom, really changed the whole social dynamics of friends. Kind of prefered it at GCSE, partly because it as a doss lol a good lauh and teh work was reletively easy, even though you do more subjects. But A level is alright, just want to getit out the way, get my grades and do 1 to uni lol.
Evizu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Its a huge jump believe me, will require alot more extra hard work and good luck in A levels Kid
Poet
Report 11 years ago
I think it is quite a jump from GCSE to A Level. You've just got to have the right state of mind. Some people don't usually do as well in Y12 because they have already spent time doing GCSE's and then have to go straight onto A Levels!

There is a difference in the work (obviously more difficult!) but once you get used to it and practice, it'll feel normal to be honest. A lot of people worry about their first A Level exams as well but really they're not that bad. The whole A Level/Sixth Form thing just takes a while getting used to.

There is the pressure of having to decide about university which can drive people mad. I think sometimes it's a bit unfair for 16 year-olds to have to decide what A Levels to choose, what degree and career to choose... it's very stressful for a young person to make those decisions. However, just remember if anyone's panicking about university... you can always take a gap year which will give you time to think about what you want to do.
harr
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Poet)
There is a difference in the work (obviously more difficult!)
Different people have different experiences of the transition. I personally found ASs to be easier than GCSEs (comparing the same subjects at AS and GCSE). The content at AS may be a little more advanced, but you are older and have more prior knowledge. I find A2 to be pretty similar in difficulty to GCSEs -- Chemistry is perhaps a little harder than GCSE, Physics a bit easier.
Botticello
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I thought the jump from GCSE to AS was harder than the one from AS to A2.
RedRevolver
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My problem with the original post is that not everyone goes to sixth form...it's a lot different in college than to sixth form too.
Cat-x
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The work load is pretty heavy and I have to say I am struggling to keep up... otherwise I am loooving 6th form. I have moved schools, and am now at boarding school and having the time of my life so much fun!
n0belium
Report 11 years ago
Hey, im currently still at secondary school and due to leave shortly. Iv got a place at a college and a sixth form and im still deciding on which to go to, but my mind is prefering the sixth form at the moment. But im still undecided on which subjects to take. Again, im still not 100% sure what i want to do as a profession, but i have allways thought law would be interesting, which is where my heart seems to be set at at the minute...

But which subjects would benefit it most? I already know im taking 1 or 2 sciences as its by far my strongest subject (what really got drew my attention to science was 'A Short History of Nearly Everything' by Bill Bryson i got in year 9, anyway...). Im also thinking history would help or maybe classical civilisations?. But i cant decide over English lit or lang Also, i have recently been thinking of taking politics. I know it probably wont help, but iv allways found it interesting and liked to keep up with whats happening (And i figured i should anyway as its what governs our lives basically)

So... Any advice would be HUGELY appreaciated
xx-Samantha-xx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If you really like english, can't you do a combined lit and lang. History is a good subject to take as long as you like writing long essays and you get a good teacher. why don't you ask around the college and the sixth form to see which teachers and lessons suit you the best.

Its completely up to you at the end of the day, its you that will be doing them.

hope that helped.
nikegoddess
Report 11 years ago
Requirements for law aren't too specific, but I've actually found that the majority of History uni undergraduates go onto become lawyers, so if it sounds like your cup of tea, History is a pretty solid and widely recognized subject.

You could do both Lit and Lang, but honestly, I'm not sure you could be able to cope with the workload (generally speaking). Lit is a very demanding subject if you want to do well (a lot of home study needed) and I've heard that the amount of Lang coursework can be a total *****. My school actually spreads out the whole AS over 2 years (no A2 offered) because it's so much =S

In the end, for something like law it's really about your grades rather than your subject choices, since it's so flexible. Choose the subjects you're most passionate about/determined to do well/know you're capable of scoring the highest marks.
ben_walker446
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I know a lot of people who do English Lang and Lit and do well in it. By doing 2 sciences history and/or english and politics you are giving yourself a nice range of subjects, with quite a bit of variation. The most important thing to do is pick the subjects you enjoy. there is nothing worse than having to sit in a class learning stuff you aren't interested in
bigdaveracer
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I personally am enjoying the 6th form a hell of a lot mroe than i did year 11... purely cos all my friends stayed on, more relaxed atmosphere, made to feel more part of a community (dont know if that can be said for everywhere though ), you only do the subjects you like so lessons are looked forward to opposed to avoided at all costs....

i could go on for hours, its an adventure- enjoy it
n0belium
Report 11 years ago
Thanks to everyone who posted
Nayberay
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm starting sixth form this september and I'm gonna have to wear a suit everyday and start at a brand new college...so nervous.
Poet
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Nayberay)
I'm starting sixth form this september and I'm gonna have to wear a suit everyday and start at a brand new college...so nervous.
Why will you have to wear a suit?

And don't be nervous. After the age of 16, some people mature quite well.

I found that there were three types of people in 6th form in terms of maturity: The people who are still immature, the people who are maturing and the people who pretend to be mature to look down on others.

The person you want to try and be out of these is NONE. Just be yourself and you'll be fine. Changing school/college is a good choice in a way because it helps people who plan to/go to university later on because they learn how to adjust with meeting new people and being in a new enviroment.
Nayberay
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Poet)
Why will you have to wear a suit?

And don't be nervous. After the age of 16, some people mature quite well.
No at the college I'm going because its an "enterprise college/business" its a requirements to wear a suit with a white blouse lol and flat heeled shoes.
Lol when I was told this I wanted to cry its like these are the last few years where we get to wear what we want and now for coellege I'm gonna look like one of them people who work a Canary Wharf Lol.

I'm am nervous because its a brand new college but luckily my mate is going as well Lol.
Poet
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Nayberay)
No at the college I'm going because its an "enterprise college/business" its a requirements to wear a suit with a white blouse lol and flat heeled shoes.
Lol when I was told this I wanted to cry its like these are the last few years where we get to wear what we want and now for coellege I'm gonna look like one of them people who work a Canary Wharf Lol.

I'm am nervous because its a brand new college but luckily my mate is going as well Lol.
Well, from the icon by your name, you're a girl so you're lucky. For guys there's not much they can do with a suit. You can try different blouses etc. and can make the look fashionable and not just a boring old work suit.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.86%
No - but I will (88)
7.52%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (559)
47.78%

Watched Threads