god i dont start till the 11th sept, everyone is goin back so early
swiftplay
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i know a few schools have already started
Wow. I don't think I could take that.:no:
Before I was totally nervous about going back but its like you said GHOSH-5, at least I'm taking subjects that I have an interest in with people that are in the same position. No more English Lit for me :woo:
Sk1lLz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by fishpie57)
I agree - can't wait to start sixth form! Non-uniform, I get to go out of school for lunch... and no more English, Biology or German!!

AS Choices: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and History. But because I'm doing five, I don't get any free periods. :mad:

And in response to discussion of small classes... there's one person doing Latin, and so she gets 2 teachers to herself! Whereas so many are doing Chemistry (about 50) they've had to hire another teacher. Think most of our classes have about 14 in them...
Oh my gosh, you're like me! :eek:
fishpie57
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by swiftplay)
Wow. I don't think I could take that.:no:
Before I was totally nervous about going back but its like you said GHOSH-5, at least I'm taking subjects that I have an interest in with people that are in the same position. No more English Lit for me :woo:
Nor for me!! :woo:

And I'm another Tuesday starter - can't wait!
fishpie57
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Sk1lLz)
Oh my gosh, you're like me! :eek:
Oh dear... you have my deepest sympathy!
Sk1lLz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by fishpie57)
Oh dear... you have my deepest sympathy!
Well, actually, I realised that we're not as similiar as I'd previously thought. Firstly, I hate history (because I'm crap at it), and secondly, I like uniform.

UNIFORM FTW!
fishpie57
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Sk1lLz)
Well, actually, I realised that we're not as similiar as I'd previously thought. Firstly, I hate history (because I'm crap at it), and secondly, I like uniform.

UNIFORM FTW!
Haha, good for you! I kind-of miss uniform 'cos it takes away the whole "Ooh what do I wear today?" problem, and everyone's wearing the same so you don't feel odd.

But I do love history.
redux345
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i start sixth form on wednesday taking biology, history, geography and maths. Anyone else doing these subjects or am i just weird?
becky.fm
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by redux345)
i start sixth form on wednesday taking biology, history, geography and maths. Anyone else doing these subjects or am i just weird?
That sounds like a good mix to me, it leaves your options open
FireDeuce
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ArchedEdge)
Is there anything that I should know in advance of starting sixth form regarding work, such as notes?

Should I be making notes of everything from the beginning, and organising it properly/typing it up sort of stuff?
PLEASE don't waste your time typing up notes. Write good notes (and I don't mean pretty, I mean legible) notes as you go along, and make sure they are filed sensibly, but you won't have enough time to waste it typing it all out to ensure it looks nice.

(Original post by GHOSH-5)
might sound lame but im so excited about sixth form and a-levels :teeth:
Not lame, starting sixth form is a very exciting time!
jesus-ninja
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I start college on the 10th, doing Sociology, RE and Eng Lit. I don't know where they are going to lead me :laughing:
I'm nervous about going, I don't know anyone which I am happy about in a way. I haven't even spoken to any randomer who is going. Bellfast Metropolitan College anyone lol?
LittleMissTwinkle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i'm starting sixform tomorrow! But, i prefer uniform too.
livingthedream
Report 10 years ago
i had my induction, and i start lessons monday.
j1991
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
fishpie57
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've been back at school 4 days now and... the teachers really are more human! They even play football on a Friday evening after school!! They joke with us and because we're all enthusiastic about the subject (we've chosen it for A-Level!) it's much more fun... I love it!!
<3m&s
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
thanks for the advice. i'll probably do the same as you - necessary homework and then study harder on difficult aspects. except classical greek that is going to kill me and i need to work my socks off
Haha! Don't even know why I'm in this thread but I did Classical Greek in sixthform and did absolutely BUGGER all, I mean NOTHINGGGG, I basically treated it like Critical thinking because it was offered as an alternative to it in my school, and got a C, like 7 marks off a B, so I'm sure you won't struggle...
Jsk
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by j1991)
Well I enrolled at College on Wednesday 3rd. But I don't start my lessons until Wednesday 10th! wooo!

I was meant to be doing 4 A Levels, but now after enrolling I decided to do 5 A Levels after being persuaded by the maths teacher to do Further Maths because of my excellent grades plus A* in maths. This means I'll have to do A Level Maths in a year! O my gosh Im gonna have a hard time!

I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, History, French Computing, Plus a Welsh Bac (Counts as an A Level)

and fingers crossed I've got in to the College's Honours Programme (Oxbridge Scheme) after having high points.
Hey mate

Double maths isnt too bad. I did Alevel maths in one year last year. I found the first few weeks really hard because its a massive jump from GCSE but you get used to the fast pase. i would advise you to get an exercise book and take notes in it. Give yourself a couple of really good examples for each area.... examples that you can look back at and fully understand whats happening.... copy them out of textbooks or something. Make them really clear and make sure you understand them.... also make revision cards as you go.... that way it takes some of the pressure off when it comes to revise. I would advise this with all your subjects though.

Good luck
<3m&s
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
well ive had only two days at school and so far i havent answered any questions right and struggling to keep up with the workloads... im very much considering quitting...
I got a C because I got a U on the language paper - I was never ever able to grasp any of it beyond remembering some random words, and one of your exams will simply be a piece of A4 paper with a passage in Greek which you just have to translate, ridiculously difficult - but i got As on both of the literature papers, which were in English. If you're considering quitting just do itttt, you will come to dread the lessons, see them as a complete waste of time and it will NEVER gain you anything by having it, unless you want to apply to do Classics. I thought about quitting for ages but got stuck doing it cos I was too indecisive to actually quit and then it went down on my UCAS form. Bad times.
Superstar6318
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hmm can someone tell me what its like if you stayed on at school for Sixth Form? Obviously the teachers will be nicer to you etc but do you form closer bonds with friends etc and go out to parties more often?

Cheers
becky.fm
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Superstar6318)
Hmm can someone tell me what its like if you stayed on at school for Sixth Form? Obviously the teachers will be nicer to you etc but do you form closer bonds with friends etc and go out to parties more often?

Cheers
If you spend your frees (or at least some of them) in the common room, then you will defo make a lot more friends. And you'll meet lots of new people in your lessons anyways.

Parties, yes. Obviously because everyone gets older, there are more parties going on anyway, and most people get invited (or crash) if they're nice enough. There's not as many parties as there is at a college though, because there is always loads and loads more people there to hold them.

If you think Sixth Form is the best option for you, go for it.

I personally regret staying at my school, just because the teaching is terrible, and my year is too small (therefore tiny classes) for my liking - only around 90 people after half the year dropped out
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (315)
37.77%
No - but I will (64)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.43%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (393)
47.12%

Watched Threads