Change From Yr11 To Sixth Form Watch

Sports Racer
Badges: 14
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by theciz)
Not true. First question of my first exam, History of Art, we got asked something that wasn't in the spec. It's lucky our teacher mentioned it once briefly in a lesson, so I was able to use that and common sense to figure out an answer, but she was well pissed off when we showed the question paper to her after wards.
I find this hard to believe. Why would an exam board test people on topics that it has excluded from its specification? The answer is it wouldn't - it has no incentive to.

So I return to my original position, and add that you weren't taught properly or at the very least the specification was misinterpreted.
theciz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Sports Racer)
I find this hard to believe. Why would an exam board test people on topics that it has excluded from its specification? The answer is it wouldn't - it has no incentive to.

So I return to my original position, and add that you weren't taught properly or at the very least the specification was misinterpreted.
Re-read the spec after the exam, and the differences between stone (marble and limestone) and bronze usage is not on it. Like I said, I talked my way around it, but according to my teacher that particular head examiner is weird. I suppose being a small exam they can get away with it (how many people would really take History of Art with CCEA anyway?).
Sports Racer
Badges: 14
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by theciz)
Re-read the spec after the exam, and the differences between stone (marble and limestone) and bronze usage is not on it. Like I said, I talked my way around it, but according to my teacher that particular head examiner is weird. I suppose being a small exam they can get away with it (how many people would really take History of Art with CCEA anyway?).
The question Unit 1 Question 1 Summer 09

Discuss the different ways use of stone (limestone, marble, etc.) and bronze influenced Greek sculpture, establishing contexts and critically appraising two appropriate examples.
has accompanying specification point

Greek sculpture - late 8thC–c. 480 BC; Egyptian, Mycenaean and Minoan
influences; technical and aesthetic developments; limestone, marble,
early use of bronze
; emergence of Kouros, Kore and other free-
standing figures; gradually freer treatment of drapery.
(my bolds)

Or am I completely in the wrong year?
theciz
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Sports Racer)
The question Unit 1 Question 1 Summer 09

has accompanying specification point

(my bolds)

Or am I completely in the wrong year?
No, you're probably right actually. My History of Art teacher was completely useless (scatty, spineless, disorganised), so if she missed that or gave us the wrong spec I wouldn't even be surprised, honestly. So glad I've given up that subject. On a happier note, that was my best AS exam overall, so all's well that ends well.
Alean
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
This may be helpful to those about to start
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...ing_Sixth_Form
JonCha
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The biggest change is the workload, which to quite a lot of people was something that they didn't seem to grasp and were more concerned about simply having a good time. Both need to be combined, and suprisingly it can be enjoyable to actually work!

And be prepared to stay up until midnight at least once to finish due-for-the-next-day work... and then realise your teacher hasn't set the deadline for the following day.

(Oh, and enjoy your induction week if you have one!)
alexandramarycatherine
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
For me, 6th form was the BEST 2 years of my life...I didn't realise how BORING lower school was until I started y12!!! Hope you guys all have fun too, I wish I was you and had the 2 years in front of me!!!
Here's a few little scribblings of mine :

# it's a pretty big jump in terms of essay writing and evaluation skills, but I soon realised that you just have to work towards the mold of each individual module..they all want different skills and they are quite PRECISE skills, so EXAM PRACTICE is key!
# you will probably experience a random 100% in a module when you get your results at some stage..and then you will probably get a B/C/D when you were expecting an A in another module! It's just the way it all works out sometimes, it seems to be unique to AS/A2
#YOU CANNOT COAST! Your brain has matured a lot since the start of your GCSE course, so you will not find the work QUITE as challenging as some people on here might be suggesting...although this of course depends on the correct CHOICE of AS level subjects. But seriously dudes, work hard and then.... party hard!
#You dooooon't need 4 A2 subjects! What is the point? I know it may look impressive, but Oxbridge only want 3 A levels, and if you've just graduated from Oxford with a First I doubt you'll be worrying too much about the number of A levels you took once upon a time. You'll make much better use of your time working towards 3 solid A level grades than trying to spread out your amazing brains over FOUR!!

GOOD LUCK! Wish I was you guys again!!
Alexgadgetman
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hi alevel forums, fraid thisll be my new home for the next 2 years
Intellectual Smart G
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hey, am new to TSR and starting 6th form next week, i was wandering if taking Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry and Drama for A Levels would be a good combination/ good subjects to take?

For Gcse I Got A in Mathematics, B in Biology, B in Chemistry and B's in both English Lit & Lang.
gernumblies
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Intellectual Smart G)
Hey, am new to TSR and starting 6th form next week, i was wandering if taking Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry and Drama for A Levels would be a good combination/ good subjects to take?

For Gcse I Got A in Mathematics, B in Biology, B in Chemistry and B's in both English Lit & Lang.
Any combination you are happy with is a good combination. :grin:

By the way, welcome to :tsr:
Intellectual Smart G
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by gernumblies)
Any combination you are happy with is a good combination. :grin:

By the way, welcome to :tsr:
Thank You
morrisajm
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Startng sixth form now and i want to buckle down and get my good grades as i understand not able to do what i did at gcse and obtain the same standard. Any tips advice etc?
Jedi4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I believe there is a thread dedicated to this.

Keep up with homework. Go over your notes you must.

Good grade you will achieve.
*Miss A*
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
work your arse off...
Dominicokey
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Get on with it. Complain but not too much. Try really hard in the coursework. Do work every night. Do work at the weekend. Read lots and lots and lots. Pay attention and make notes. Find the time to sit down and watch/read/listen to whatever you enjoy as well; that always helps.
Giabear
Report 9 years ago
Don't **** around!
Make sure you take plenty of notes, that you will actually understand later, so you're not going to go, "HUH!? What was that all about"
Use free periods wisely! The year will go by so quickly, it did for me, so don't waste time, it's okay to have fun but just keep on top of things!
vintage_007
Report 9 years ago
Don't give into peer pressure to bunk off classes as teachers are a lot more lenient as you don't have to be there and will either report you or take the view that it's your future you're meesing up and therefore not say anything.

Be outgoing on your first day and friendly to everyone - it took me three months to speak up in class and by then, everyone had already formed friendship groups.

Don't be afraid to express yourself - at sixth form, be a goth/emo/chav/etc if you want to - people are a lot more tolerant and you're not regulated by the laws of uniform!

Take responsibility for yourself - if you get a bad grade, don't ask for a re-mark or blame the teacher, chances are you aren't doing enough work.

When you turn 18, don't go out lots on weekdays - your grades will suffer because of it and there's plenty of time to party at weekends and during holidays!

Be prepared not only for the jump between GCSE and AS, but also for the (much larger) one between AS and A2 when the time comes.

If you don;t like a subject or a teacher, swap within the first few weeks - chances are it will not get better (no matter what people say) and you'd be better off spending your time and energy on something else

Good luck x
Dominicokey
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I did 5 AS subjects, and in my free periods I sat around talking about whatever it is that has crept up, and I got good grades... so Giabear, don't put too much emphasis on working in your frees
AfroNathan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Don't slack in your first year

I know this may seem obvious but it wasn't to me so I had to work extra hard in my second year to get my AS grades up.
Keep up with homework, don't be afraid to ask the teacher for help and read ahead (gets you kudos with the teacher )
Buster_Bunny
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by morrisajm)
Startng sixth form now and i want to buckle down and get my good grades as i understand not able to do what i did at gcse and obtain the same standard. Any tips advice etc?
Work 10times as hard as you did with gcse's and never leave work til the last minute - do it AS SOON AS YOU GET IT.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (112)
38.75%
No - but I will (13)
4.5%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.92%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (144)
49.83%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed