The Student Room Group

Change From Yr11 To Sixth Form

Scroll to see replies

Hello everyone ^^

I'm not sure if this is the right thing to post in this thread but, shoot me, here it goes.

I'm getting ready to go into my first year of sixth form in September, and I'm having a major freak out :woo:

I'm choosing to do History, English Literature, Psychology and Biology.

These are all subjects i really enjoyed doing at GCSE.

I'm just worried, because at GSCE i remember having to do coursework for both History and English and i struggled to get my mind around the amount we were given. ( Though I'm sure it probably won't compare to the amount I'm going to get soon >.< )

Does it get worse at AS? Is it really just essay after essay? and does anyone with experience of taking these subjects think I'm making the right decision with my subjects?

thanks to anyone who's willing to help :biggrin:

and good luck with your GCSE results guys! :yep:

x
GingeeBiscuit
Hello everyone ^^

I'm not sure if this is the right thing to post in this thread but, shoot me, here it goes.

I'm getting ready to go into my first year of sixth form in September, and I'm having a major freak out :woo:

I'm just worried, because at GSCE i remember having to do coursework for both History and English and i struggled to get my mind around the amount we were given. ( Though I'm sure it probably won't compare to the amount I'm going to get soon >.< )

Does it get worse at AS? Is it really just essay after essay? and does anyone with experience of taking these subjects think I'm making the right decision with my subjects?

thanks to anyone who's willing to help :biggrin:

and good luck with your GCSE results guys! :yep:

x

I found in my 6th form that the first 2 or 3 months were really hard. The jump seemed massive because no one warned us about it, but once you settled into the flow of it, it was ok.
It should be fine. I know plenty of people who have done those options. Good luck!
Reply 662
any1 not sure on what a levels to do and want to go to uni look at uni courses NOW. Many courses such as chemistry will usually ask for both a chemistry a level and a maths one so be aware what the uni's want its only a year until ull be applying

also a levels need work but spread over two years in module form make them managable and pretty straight forward compared with the gcse 20+ exam marathon you all have just spent your vacation recovering from.
Finally got the grades i was dreaming of!! Cant wait to start AS XD...just skimmed through some AS science stuff online, looks horrific...i like a challenge though :yep:
Bring it on!
Reply 664
Whey! going sixth form

I can see all this going a bit Inbetweeners tbh.
Reply 665
I'm really looking forward to starting L6! :-) Starting only the subjects I really enjoy and starting afresh :smile:
read my blog for advice!!!!!!!! :smile:)
spamming
Reply 668
So we started thursday and went to all these subject taster sessions i've made up my mind and im doing Biology, English Lit, Theology and Drama :biggrin:
Reply 669
GingeeBiscuit

I did English Literature and Psychology at AS. Psychology is a lot of work but it's an interesting course and they mark it fairly. I loved English Lit at GCSE but the AS Level was a nightmare. I hated quite a lot of the texts and it seems to have been marked unfairly for the last 2 years, judging from personal experience and the amount of threads about it on here.
I love sixth form with the freedom and such!
but still undecided between Politics and Psychology! -_-
Reply 671
I just started sixth form wednesday and I'm actually enjoying it. We actually get through lessons without interruptions or people messing around who obviously didn't want to be their like in secondary school. I enjoy have lots of free's to keep on top of work without going into after school time too much. Most people are friendly and willing to talk to anyone if approached.

I chose History, chemistry, biology and maths. So far History seems to be the hardest and most work. I'm enjoying chemistry and Biology and as for maths I'm a bit rusty probably because of lack of practice but I pretty sure I'll get back into it soon enough. I'm just hoping it gets easier and more enjoyable throughout the year.
Reply 672
Sixth form is so much better than year 11 already :biggrin:

The lessons go so fast because everyones interested and we're constantly getting taught without people getting told off and all that jazz, and we don't stay on the same thing for ages so it doesn't get boring.
Frees are good because we all do work as a group so it gets done quick, teachers treat you with more respect and the rest of the school move out of your way when your walking down the corridoor :lol:
I'm taking maths, biology, psychology and geography. I havn't had psychology yet but the rest of the subjects seem to be good, biology was a bit of a mega shock the first lesson... loads of people said they were dropping it and one person had a breakdown but it makes sense when you go over it after :smile:

Sixth for ftw!
Cnt w8 2 start college....my inductions next wednesday..-.-
Reply 674
Finally starting tomorrow :biggrin: really looking forward to it but terrified, most of my old year group are going to the college I'm going to so there will be familiar faces around which is good :smile:. My only worry is the workload I'm doing maths, history, spanish and economics
I've been in sixth form for a week now and I think it's so much better than Year 11. I love my subjects :smile:. I love frees, I don't know how I ever coped without them. And we get to go out at lunch now and they've just opened a chip shop nearby so :coma: The only thing I don't like is that some teachers still treat you like you are in Year 7, like shushing you and threatening to confiscate phones (this was in a free and we're allowed them in school :confused:), but they're the minority so I just ignore them.
Reply 676
Is it normal to feel stupid in your lessons? :frown:

I go over stuff at home after I've done it in the lesson and after a while I get it but in lessons everything just goes too fast and I'm always left confused lol
Reply 677
emma363

I go over stuff at home after I've done it in the lesson and after a while I get it but in lessons everything just goes too fast and I'm always left confused lol

Talk to your teachers now if you're having problems - one of my mates got completely muddled up in the first few months but never told her teachers, and when she came to revising for the January exams she had a really hard time. They're there to help you, at the end of the day, but they can't if they don't know you're struggling.
Also, don't worry about feeling stupid - you're with a load of new teachers and it takes a while to get used to different teaching styles and a new environment (:
emma363

lol same problem with me...i work like 100* better at home, damn school its a cursed place:p:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 679
Thanks tash :smile: and ^glad to know it's not just me :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending