Change From Yr11 To Sixth Form Watch

Rabia786
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TheFionaJay)
Those look like good GCSEs so I think you have a good chance. They usually want you to have a B in the subject you want to continue with so your additional science grade will be fine. Good luck .
Awwh thankss
Dragonage<3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi I am currently in year 11 and i am choosing my a level options. However, after looking through a countless number of forums, i am still confused as to which a levels to choose in reference to my career choice. After my alevels, i wish to study law at university, preferably at one of the russell group universities.I understand that the universities in this group can be quite `strict` (to put it lightly), in terms of which a levels you choose ( i roughly understand that alevel subjects are catergorized as: traditional, being useful, etc...) and you of course have to achieve the best grades (A*AA, I believe?).

I would greatly appreciate someone to explain to me whether the a level options i have chosen which be benefical to me when i apply to university. I have not completed my gcse course as of yet but i am expected to achieve 5A*, 6A and 1B. (the reason as to why i have mentioned this is because, from what i have read, some universities also consider your gcse results as well that of your alevel results.) Any who, below is a list of the alevel subjects i have chosen currently:
English Lit
Biology
History
Government and Politics
(FYI, i am doing these 4 subjects to an ALEVEL STANDARD (A2?))

Thank you for spending the time to read this (i know its quite long) and i hope someone may be able to help. Also i think i have made quite a few errors in my writing so i am sorry for that
Becca
Sab_
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey I'm in year 12 and for law, all unis expect you to do really academic essay based subjects that show your ability to argue and show great knowledge. I do history and English, great to choose! And government and politics is good too, make sure the uni you want to go to accept it, usually should biology is fine as a subject you personally want to do, good choices

Posted from TSR Mobile
sellerofdreams
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey, would it be possible to get good grades even if you missed the first four or five weeks of AS levels?
.:Twilight:.
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sellerofdreams)
Hey, would it be possible to get good grades even if you missed the first four or five weeks of AS levels?
It is possible, certainly. However, the first few weeks of sixth form are very important. It's the start of the transition from GCSE to A level and this jump can be very hard for some students. If it is at all possible not to miss that time, then I wouldn't miss it. Plus it's also important for getting to know your teachers and peers.
Infinity_4652
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by brimstone)

From school to sixth form
-You'll have a much better relationship with most of your teachers and they'll treat you more like adults, even as friends sometimes
-Depending on the subjects you take and the size of your sixth form, the classes will probably be much smaller, allowing for more interaction in lessons and a more relaxed atmosphere
-You'll have frees and it'll most likely be up to you how you spend them
-You'll still be nagged to get your work done, but because you're there of your own free will, they can't do anything to you if you don't, so you need more self-motivation
-You'll be the most senior students in the school and thus expected to set a good example to the younger pupils
is this right if i am to go to a sixth form college?
or is this for people who will go to a school sixth form?
.:Twilight:.
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Infinity_4652)
is this right if i am to go to a sixth form college?
or is this for people who will go to a school sixth form?
Unless you have a very uptight school then i'd say yes.
Babogirl
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
hi i am going to sixth form in September and i am studying physics maths chemistry and geography and i am confused on what things to bring like should i use notebooks or binders.
Thanks
Lottie_
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Dragonage<3)
Hi I am currently in year 11 and i am choosing my a level options. However, after looking through a countless number of forums, i am still confused as to which a levels to choose in reference to my career choice. After my alevels, i wish to study law at university, preferably at one of the russell group universities.I understand that the universities in this group can be quite `strict` (to put it lightly), in terms of which a levels you choose ( i roughly understand that alevel subjects are catergorized as: traditional, being useful, etc...) and you of course have to achieve the best grades (A*AA, I believe?).

I would greatly appreciate someone to explain to me whether the a level options i have chosen which be benefical to me when i apply to university. I have not completed my gcse course as of yet but i am expected to achieve 5A*, 6A and 1B. (the reason as to why i have mentioned this is because, from what i have read, some universities also consider your gcse results as well that of your alevel results.) Any who, below is a list of the alevel subjects i have chosen currently:
English Lit
Biology
History
Government and Politics
(FYI, i am doing these 4 subjects to an ALEVEL STANDARD (A2?))

Thank you for spending the time to read this (i know its quite long) and i hope someone may be able to help. Also i think i have made quite a few errors in my writing so i am sorry for that
Becca
Hey becca:-), I am in year 11 myself and have been looking into the Russell group universities. I think oxford and Cambridge are the only ones that require A* at all and some like Southampton, the normal entry requirements are things like AAB or ABB and that is a very respected uni. The subjects you are doing sound good and well related I am sure you will be fine!
NekoNoKoi
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Babogirl)
hi i am going to sixth form in September and i am studying physics maths chemistry and geography and i am confused on what things to bring like should i use notebooks or binders.
Thanks
Bring a scientific calculator, you'll need it for maths, physics and chemistry. I recommend buying one or two refill pads to write in, or alternatively a notebook or w/e. It's basically the same as high school really
Also, bring a packet of tissues. You're going to need them for physics.
NekoNoKoi
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by justanotherindigo)
Hey to everyone (:

Does anyone know any recommended books for English Literature B (AQA)?
I'm currently buying some books for my a-levels (economics, english lit, history, religious studies) and I was searching for a decent revision guide for english lit

thanks in advance
It really depends. Your teacher should have told you (or will tell you) which books to read over the summer holidays, e.g. I read Small Island and Gatsby before sixth form started because they're the books that my school studies for the exam.
As for revision guides, unfortunately I have no idea but I know that you can get Gatsby revision guides from York Notes and CGP.
BryonyG98
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi everyone,

Just a quick question on whether I have picked the right sort of A-Levels for the careers I am looking to go into (Engineering or Accountancy)

I have chosen (but can still change them) to do:
Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Chemistry
Economics

I am in Year 11 at the moment so havent taken my GCSEs yet (apart from Maths which I got an A* in). I am predicted a range of grades from A*s to Bs (hoping to get all A*s and As though) including an A in Additional Maths (FSMQ)

Do you think I would be able to do the 5 subjects above and are they right for my possible careers

Thanks in advance (:
AKC...
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'd have chosen a D&T for engineering.
Adam315
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey guys, I'm going to sixth form in September but I haven't been told what I need to bring on the first day... specifically paper? Should I bring one of those big A4 refill pads or do they provide them? I'm doing 2 languages and 3 essay writing subjects so I assume I'll be doing quite a bit of writing
Smxth
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Adam315)
Hey guys, I'm going to sixth form in September but I haven't been told what I need to bring on the first day... specifically paper? Should I bring one of those big A4 refill pads or do they provide them? I'm doing 2 languages and 3 essay writing subjects so I assume I'll be doing quite a bit of writing
1st day you probs wont need much, but expect to fill ALOT of pads and have some ringbinders for when you start lessons. Also your run of the mill pencil case
Wolf11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi, everyone

Im currently thinking over my A level choices to maximise my chances of getting into Oxbridge or LSE to get an economics degree. In the long run, I would like a high paying job in banking (investment banking to be specific).

My solid 3 choices are
Economics
Maths
Further maths

For the 4th I'm not sure which of these to chose:
Accounting
Government and Politics
Physics

Personally I'm interested in politics but a physics a level might be more impressive. What do you guys think?

Extra info:
I want to go to Loreto sixth form (manchester) but can also chose Xaverian.

Cheers for any feedback
Old_Simon
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you have the ability a foreign language can do no harm.
Wolf11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Old_Simon)
If you have the ability a foreign language can do no harm.
Is an A* GCSE in Polish of any value to a uni?
Old_Simon
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MarekK)
Maybe not.
username1042883
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Wolf11)
If you're applying to UCL it probably will be:
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-stu...y-requirements
other than that, probably not.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
38.94%
No - but I will (46)
6.78%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.52%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (317)
46.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise