Change From Yr11 To Sixth Form Watch

Eau
Badges: 15
Report 12 years ago
What is with the rating on this thread? Are there ratings for other threads too? This seems like a good idea!
becky.fm
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Mauve)
What is with the rating on this thread? Are there ratings for other threads too? This seems like a good idea!
I think it only appears when it reaches a certain amount of ratings (maybe 100 people have voted or something.. :dontknow:). But i like the idea of it!
the-stig
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Could anyone tell me the difference between Applied ICT and normal ICT please?

Also, is Applied ICT regarded as better/worse/just the same in regards to university etc.?

Thanks,

David
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by the-stig)
Could anyone tell me the difference between Applied ICT and normal ICT please?

Also, is Applied ICT regarded as better/worse/just the same in regards to university etc.?

Thanks,

David
Applied ICT is what used to be called AVCE, so it's more vocational, mainly coursework and not as respected.
the-stig
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Ah right I see. Are BTEC's respected as equally as A Levels when going to uni etc.?

Thanks,

David
becky.fm
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Ah right I see. Are BTEC's respected as equally as A Levels when going to uni etc.?

Thanks,

David
No. Normally BTEC's are not respected as much for uni. For example, you probably wouldn't be able to get onto a Physics degree course, if you only had Physics A Level and a BTEC. But, if you want to do the BTEC subject at university, it's fine.
the-stig
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Bexiness!)
No. Normally BTEC's are not respected as much for uni. For example, you probably wouldn't be able to get onto a Physics degree course, if you only had Physics A Level and a BTEC. But, if you want to do the BTEC subject at university, it's fine.
Thanks Bexiness.

That makes it totally clear to me now, all of the other info from teachers etc. haven't made the most sense in the world . I understand now.

Thanks,

David
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago

Thanks,

David
Depends what uni you want to go to and what course you want to do really, but generally A-levels are more respected. BTECs are fine for more vocational courses at unis lower down in the league tables, but for an academic degree at a good uni, you'll be much better off with A-level.
catfish278
Report 12 years ago
I changed school for sixth form and it was the best decision I have ever made. I love sixth form and will be sad to let it go in 5 weeks! Having said that, the work is a huge step up from GCSE and you are expected to take on a lot of study yourself (at least at my school!). But the teachers treat you more like an adult and you find out which subjects you truely like and those you don't!

Cat x
arsenalfan.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
ICT is uselss at A Levels because your qualification will be outdated.

e.g. Holding an A to A Level in Applied/Normal ICT in 2007 is uselss when applying for jobs in 2040. the technology changes.
Brightstar
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I personally found it hard because I went to a private school before where I was spoon fed and suddenly I had to take all my own notes and the teaching wasn't very good.
But it really depends on your teachers and what subjects you take
Wildebeest
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by arsenalfan.)
ICT is uselss at A Levels because your qualification will be outdated.

e.g. Holding an A to A Level in Applied/Normal ICT in 2007 is uselss when applying for jobs in 2040. the technology changes.
Exactly. And ICT isn't a rigorous subject at A Level, neither is it a useful one for a computing-related profession. I took AS Level, yet am applying for English... :confused:
her-own-wings
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Bit of a long shot in the dark I know, but which subjects do universities generally prefer?
I'm taking English Literature, Art, Media Studies and Photography with a GCSE in Spanish hopefully progressing to AS in my second year, as my previous school didn't offer a GCSE in a language until last year for this years year tens! :mad:

Obviously english lit is a good choice which is great as it's my favourite subject, and I'll be taking art simply for the pleasure as I've absolutely loved it at GCSE and manage to do really well.

However, I've heard pretty bad things about media. Is it really considered a 'doss' subject? I want to go into journalism but I know media isn't considered vital for it, I'm just wondering if it's useful. I'm not sure why I'm taking photography to be quite honest.. I work in a photography shop and apparently it ties in well with the art course so it seemed a good option at the time..

Haha, as I'm typing this I'm realllllyyyy wondering whether I should be rethinking my alevels! I'd take the IB course if I had a language, but unfortunately I can't. Stupid, stupid school. Do universities really praise the IB so highly?
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You won't be at any disadvantage taking A-levels instead of IB because the majority of English/Irish/Welsh students do, but depending on what you want to do at uni, and more importantly where, your subjects might be a disadvantage because you only have one traditional, respected one. Do you know what you want to do at uni and where yet?
her-own-wings
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by kellywood_5)
You won't be at any disadvantage taking A-levels instead of IB because the majority of English/Irish/Welsh students do, but depending on what you want to do at uni, and more importantly where, your subjects might be a disadvantage because you only have one traditional, respected one. Do you know what you want to do at uni and where yet?
Probably English Literature. I have no idea where, but I'll be aiming for the more respected universities for literature probably, not sure as yet exactly which ones these are though! I just wanna aim as high as I can and see where I land, really.
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by her-own-wings)
Probably English Literature. I have no idea where, but I'll be aiming for the more respected universities for literature probably, not sure as yet exactly which ones these are though! I just wanna aim as high as I can and see where I land, really.
In that case, I'd really recommend changing your subjects. English lit is one of the most competitive degrees, and if you're aiming for a top uni, GCSE grades and probably subject choices will be important as well as A-level grades and personal statement. English lit is obviously required and a traditional academic subject, but none of your others are, so whilst it might be OK to do one of them, especially if it's just to AS, it would be a good idea to change the other 2 to something like maths, biology, chemistry, physics, geography, history, RS or economics. For a start, I wouldn't take both art and photography because it would be a huge amount of work for little respect, so it would be better to keep photography as a hobby.
her-own-wings
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
In that case, I'd really recommend changing your subjects. English lit is one of the most competitive degrees, and if you're aiming for a top uni, GCSE grades and probably subject choices will be important as well as A-level grades and personal statement. English lit is obviously required and a traditional academic subject, but none of your others are, so whilst it might be OK to do one of them, especially if it's just to AS, it would be a good idea to change the other 2 to something like maths, biology, chemistry, physics, geography, history, RS or economics. For a start, I wouldn't take both art and photography because it would be a huge amount of work for little respect, so it would be better to keep photography as a hobby.
I see. :] Thankyou for your advice. What about media studies?
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I see. :] Thankyou for your advice. What about media studies?
Personally I'd change it because that's the first subject that always comes up whenever someone says 'mickey mouse', 'doss' or whatever, but I think the general rule is that at least 2 of your 3 or 4 subjects should be traditional and academic for you to stand the best chance of getting an offer from top unis. For example, LSE and Trinity College, Cambridge, which are the only ones to officially blacklist certain subjects, say it's OK to have 1 blacklisted A-level as long as the other 2 aren't. LSE blacklist art and media, but don't mention photography. Cambridge list art and media as of 'limited suitability' and photography as 'unsuitable.' So to stand the best chance, you should really do English lit, one of media/art/photography and 2 other traditional subjects. But obviously it depends what other subjects you'd enjoy and do well in.
her-own-wings
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Personally I'd change it because that's the first subject that always comes up whenever someone says 'mickey mouse', 'doss' or whatever, but I think the general rule is that at least 2 of your 3 or 4 subjects should be traditional and academic for you to stand the best chance of getting an offer from top unis. For example, LSE and Trinity College, Cambridge, which are the only ones to officially blacklist certain subjects, say it's OK to have 1 blacklisted A-level as long as the other 2 aren't. LSE blacklist art and media, but don't mention photography. Cambridge list art and media as of 'limited suitability' and photography as 'unsuitable.' So to stand the best chance, you should really do English lit, one of media/art/photography and 2 other traditional subjects. But obviously it depends what other subjects you'd enjoy and do well in.
Do you know what the 'traditional' subjects are exactly? :]
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Do you know what the 'traditional' subjects are exactly? :]
http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

That's the Cambridge list grouping subjects into generally accpetable, limited suitability and unsuitable.

http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/under...howToApply.htm

And if you scroll down, that's the LSE blacklist of subjects they don't like.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (302)
37.52%
No - but I will (61)
7.58%
No - I don't want to (60)
7.45%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (382)
47.45%

Watched Threads