Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I am hopefully going to Warwick uni to study philosophy in September. They have an exchange program with the University of Wisconsin-Madison which is so very exciting, and I want to find out a bit more about it. I looked at their website but would like to see where it ranks on league tables but I can't find any. Please help me, because I am in a bad mood and will hate you if you don't.

Emma
    xxx

www.thetrainline.com sucks. They have offered me a £4 refund on a £28 ticket and that was only because of an administration error (they wanted to give me less...)

Somewhere on this site ----> usnews.com <---- there are rankings for the top US uni's and colleges!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    Somewhere on this site ----> usnews.com <---- there are rankings for the top US uni's and colleges!!!
    yep http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/col...ndex_brief.php

ReputationRep:
    The Uni rankings don't have the same importance in the US as they have here. They're not based on subject position, so I wouldn't put as much faith in them. If you want a better view of what a uni is like, go to http://www.review.com. It's the Princeton Review's web site, and they have details about most unis in America.

ReputationRep:
    U of Wisconsin-Madison, while a fine academic institution, will be boring as hell. The only thing good about Wisconsin is that they make cheese there. But the downside to this is that it smells like cows outside all of the time.

But if your criteria is based only on academics, then yes, it is good. I currently attend Purdue University in West Lafayette, IN. And it also is boring as hell and sometimes smells like cows.

On the other hand, if you get to select which American University to attend I recommend choosing Northwestern University in Chicago/Evanston, IL. It is the best Big 10 University. And in a better location.

(Original post by covered farm wa)
    Hello!

I am hopefully going to Warwick uni to study philosophy in September. They have an exchange program with the University of Wisconsin-Madison which is so very exciting, and I want to find out a bit more about it. I looked at their website but would like to see where it ranks on league tables but I can't find any. Please help me, because I am in a bad mood and will hate you if you don't.

Emma
    xxx

www.thetrainline.com sucks. They have offered me a £4 refund on a £28 ticket and that was only because of an administration error (they wanted to give me less...)

ReputationRep:
    Wisconsin is a large land grant research university. It is a good school and one of the top 50 U.S. universities.

Wisconsin is also really cold and has a reputation for its crazy parties and great college town. If you like booze, Madison is a great college town....

I went to the University of California at Davis.

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckwan16)
    Wisconsin is a large land grant research university. It is a good school and one of the top 50 U.S. universities.
    The downside of course is that you would have to live in the US.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckwan16)

Wisconsin is also really cold and has a reputation for its crazy parties and great college town. If you like booze, Madison is a great college town....

I went to the University of California at Davis.

Best of luck
    Yeah I'm going to America for the 2nd year of my degree (2005) and I want to go to the University of California. I know that for reciprocity students, you can have 3 choices of campus, so I want to put down Berkeley first, then Davis and San Diego. What's it like at Davis?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evil Muffin)
    Yeah I'm going to America for the 2nd year of my degree (2005) and I want to go to the University of California. I know that for reciprocity students, you can have 3 choices of campus, so I want to put down Berkeley first, then Davis and San Diego. What's it like at Davis?
    All three schools are good....you will have fun at any of those three places

Davis is one of the few true college towns in California....The school is basically the main reason why people know about the town. It is known as the "friendly campus", because everyone is pretty nice.

If you want to go to a quiet place to study, then Davis would be a good place...since it is not the most exciting of towns. It is in between Sacramento and the Napa Valley.

The school is a large (30K students) research university. Like all UC's, it is extremely liberal and Davis is very eco-friendly.....

You will need a bike, because Davis is the "bike capital of the US"

Berkeley is more politically active, but Davis is more enviromentally active.

The overall student environment is laid-back, but don't be fooled because it is very competitive in the classroom.

http://www.ucdavis.edu/
    http://ucdavisaggies.ocsn.com/
    http://www.mondaviarts.org/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oldthrashbarg)
    The downside of course is that you would have to live in the US.
    whats wrong with living in the us?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.