Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hello there

I am doing my ASlevel coursework piece on the EMF and internal resistance of a cell.

I have some results which I have got from another source which include the uncertainty in volts and the voltage measurement. I have been told the ABSOLUTE uncertainty in the volt meter is+/- 0.01v and the % uncertainty is 2%

How do I get the uncertainty values in that column? (B) thanks

PICTURE:Name:  uncertainty.png
Views: 61
Size:  9.2 KB

EDIT: In column B all the values should have "+/- " in front of them

ReputationRep:
    Okay lets say I am using a voltmeter which has an absolute uncertainty of +/-0.01v and a percentage uncertainty of +/-2%

I then take a reading using that voltmeter and get the reading to be 1.36v

What would the uncertainty be in the reading? thanks. Would it be +/- 0.03? The answer book says it is but I don't know how to get that. Thanks

(Original post by upthegunners)
    hello there

I am doing my ASlevel coursework piece on the EMF and internal resistance of a cell.

I have some results which I have got from another source which include the uncertainty in volts and the voltage measurement. I have been told the ABSOLUTE uncertainty in the volt meter is+/- 0.01v and the % uncertainty is 2%

How do I get the uncertainty values in that column? (B) thanks

PICTURE:Name:  uncertainty.png
Views: 61
Size:  9.2 KB

EDIT: In column B all the values should have "+/- " in front of them
    The values in that column look like the absolute uncertainty corresponding to a percentage uncertainty of 2%
    Without any further details about how these measurements were performed it's not possible to say much more.

Okay lets say I am using a voltmeter which has an absolute uncertainty of +/-0.01v and a percentage uncertainty of +/-2%

What would the uncertainty be in the reading? thanks. Would it be +/- 0.03? The answer book says it is but I don't know how to get that. Thanks
    This question is related to the one you already have in the other thread on uncertainty.
    I've moved it there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stonebridge)
    The values in that column look like the absolute uncertainty corresponding to a percentage uncertainty of 2%
    Without any further details about how these measurements were performed it's not possible to say much more.
    thanks for moving it

I basically just had a series circuit connect up to a 1.5v cell, rheostat and ammeter and took 10 voltage readings a difference resistances and that's it

There are two things going on here.
    Firstly the ± 0.01V is the precision of the instrument. This is the smallest division on its scale. This value is not necessarily the uncertainty in a reading taken with that instrument.

% uncertainty is the actual uncertainty divided by the value of the reading and times 100
    So if you have 1.00 ±0.01V that is a % uncertainty of 1% for example.

(0.01/1.00) x 100

If, on the other hand, you are told that an instrument has a % uncertainty in all readings of, say, 2% then each reading will be ± 2%
    so if you have a reading of 2.00V the uncertainty will be ± 0.04V
    This is because 0.04 is 2% of 2.00

ReputationRep:
    Firstly the ± 0.01V is the precision of the instrument. This is the smallest division on its scale. This value is not necessarily the uncertainty in a reading taken with that instrument.

% uncertainty is the actual uncertainty divided by the value of the reading and times 100

(0.01/1.00) x 100

If, on the other hand, you are told that an instrument has a % uncertainty in all readings of, say, 2% then each reading will be ± 2%
    thanks sooo much dude! You're explained that better than my teacher

And he also did say that the +/-1.00 was in fact the uncertainty

ReputationRep:

(0.01/1.00) x 100

sorry to hassle you again but how would I calibrate the voltmeter?

sorry to hassle you again but how would I calibrate the voltmeter?
    There are a number of ways.
    It depends on
    - what type of voltmeter it is
    - what equipment you have at your disposal

I imagine your teacher would help you with this.

Try Googling
    "Weston Cell" for a start.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.