Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I dont know where to study. I am planning to do business studies and possibly become a teacher or just work in industry. I will be the first in my family to go to UNI

My choices are Uni of Liverpool vs Sheffield Hallam.

-With Hallam I can stay at home or go to accommdation, save money, continue with my part time job so more money so I can have a better social outings, buy a car etc.
    My life will not change dramatically, I will just be adding to it. Maybe this would allow me to get a better grades? Because

-With Liverpool, I will Have to quit my job, most of my money will go on accommodation, so I will have a little left over. I will have to start again making friends. I have been told that in Liverpool it is hard to find part time jobs with good hours. But it means i break out of the comfort zone, learn to live, may this is good for the long term?

According to UNIstats both courses have 70% and 69% employment after 6 months. I know Liverpool is a red brick and Russell group, with prestige. Maybe this will mean better long term employment prospects/more connections?? Furthermore it seems more people get first class and 2.1 degrees. But overall short term employment is 1% higher at Hallam.

thanks you for reading, I would appreciate any help, advice and comments.

(sorry about spelling, grammar, I am on my phone,)

ReputationRep:
    I think you should move into university accommodation.
    Yes, it's expensive and it's not as comfortable but its part of the experience.
    You'll make friends very easily, your social life will be great and you get more freedom.
    It's a major part of the uni experience and shouldn't be missed!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by freedom)
    I dont know where to study. I am planning to do business studies and possibly become a teacher or just work in industry. I will be the first in my family to go to UNI

-With Hallam I can stay at home or go to accommdation, save money, continue with my part time job so more money so I can have a better social outings, buy a car etc.
    My life will not change dramatically, I will just be adding to it. Maybe this would allow me to get a better grades? Because

-With Liverpool, I will Have to quit my job, most of my money will go on accommodation, so I will have a little left over. I will have to start again making friends. I have been told that in Liverpool it is hard to find part time jobs with good hours. But it means i break out of the comfort zone, learn to live, may this is good for the long term?

According to UNIstats both courses have 70% and 69% employment after 6 months. I know Liverpool is a red brick and Russell group, with prestige. Maybe this will mean better long term employment prospects/more connections?? Furthermore it seems more people get first class and 2.1 degrees. But overall short term employment is 1% higher at Hallam.

I would pick a uni based upon how much you like your course and what other opportunities are available to you there. Don't worry too much about the finances, as you should be able to get a student loan to cover most of it and can probably get a part time job at uni.
    Look in more detail into the statistics if you want, I've always had the vague impression that Liverpool is better than Hallam but I really don't know anything about them, so you need to look at all the other information available to you. Employment is only one factor, is student satisfaction, average graduate salary, or research rating important to you? How significant is the difference in these factors between the two unis? I wouldn't think that 1% is particularly important, but 10 or 20% is more significant.
    Look in more detail at the courses. Does one sound a lot more interesting? Is there the opportunity to spend some of it abroad/ do a placement year? How much flexibility is there in choosing modules? Are they accredited by a relevant authority/ society? What is the average graduate salary for that particular course? How many graduates from that particular course are employed? What kind of jobs/ careers do they go into?

Have you had the opportunity to visit each uni? I found this to be very important when picking my uni choices, as you get a much better idea of whether you would enjoy living there than from the prospectus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freedom)

First of all I would seriously recommend going in to accommodation wherever you end up going. Learning to live is a skill you really need if you stay at home you'll never learn how to take care of your self. accommodation is a lot but it is often covered with the student loan and with a maintenance gran you will be able to survive.

you say your self Liverpool students get more 1st's and 2:1s than Hallem and it's a more respected university and a Russel group which looks good on any CV you say you might want to teach and a 1st or 2:1 will help you out there although some PGCE's require a 2:2 or even a 3rd.

Hallem as you say you can keep your job but the main motivation for doing this seems to be money.

You also seem to want a social life and of course this is important no matter how much money you have a social life will always be better in halls for several reasons.

1) you bond with you flatmates over pre drinks in someones room or the kitchen this is often where you make the connections that eventually become friends after the first few weeks the friendships are solidified either in the clubs or pubs whatever you do.

2) you can bring back as many strange women as you want back to your place and no one will bat an eyelid without the issue of what you parents will think when they find her sneaking out in the morning.

3) you can get as blind drunk as you want and no one will give you trouble about it.

and finally

4)and finally you learn to live

Breaking out of the comfort zone is important it is part of growing up people who don't don't grow up.

Friends are easy at uni just talk to everyone and you'll bve fine and join clubs there are loads.

On the jobs front apply at the union they will fit your hours around your cours and they pay quite well.

I have herd Liverpool is a great city for students and you will probably have a gr8 time there so yeah I'd say Liverpool.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.