Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am starting my third term at this school which I have been teaching at. A lot of the students in the school are good but some of them are not so good. I have had them swear at me, text in my lessons don't do the work. I have phoned parents and the students behaviour would improve for about two days then its back to normal. Is there a way I can teach a student not to behave like that? Are detentions effective because I rarely give them out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teacher:))
    I am starting my third term at this school which I have been teaching at. A lot of the students in the school are good but some of them are not so good. I have had them swear at me, text in my lessons don't do the work. I have phoned parents and the students behaviour would improve for about two days then its back to normal. Is there a way I can teach a student not to behave like that? Are detentions effective because I rarely give them out?
    Giving them the "Scarbrough Warning" next time it'll be Detention is the only way I can think of.

ReputationRep:
    If there misbehaving you've really got to crack down on them. It really depends on the kind of person you are, and how the kids are.

I had one of my teachers take someones phone and read out some juicy texts to the class :P. No-one ever used a phone in his lessons again.

ReputationRep:
    An old teacher of mine, if we were caught swinging on our chairs used to take the chair away, make us stand infront of the class and perform a breast stroke motion with our arms. The amount of cheek we gave him about it, the longer we'd have to do it. Looking back on it, it was genius and I plan on using it.

Note: by "breast stroke motion" I mean swimming....not honka honka

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gjaykay)
    An old teacher of mine, if we were caught swinging on our chairs used to take the chair away, make us stand infront of the class and perform a breast stroke motion with our arms. The amount of cheek we gave him about it, the longer we'd have to do it. Looking back on it, it was genius and I plan on using it.

Well, if it was me, if they ask me to do that, I'd just say, no? What happens then?

ReputationRep:

Oh know what you meant you sneaky devil

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hart1995)
    Oh know what you meant you sneaky devil

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are you two the same person?

ReputationRep:
    Embarrassment in front of fellow peers which they will not find funny or 'banterish'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucozade sport)
    Well, if it was me, if they ask me to do that, I'd just say, no? What happens then?
    You have to be authoritative, as sad as it to say =/
    You need to raise your voice and give 'em a look of utter disgust. I know it sounds bad and tbh it is, I would to hate to have to do it, but I know I'll have too. After they see the way you look at them and volume/tone of voice, they'll fall in line after a few times.

May I ask, what year do you teach? As I'm a Primary School Teaching student and only on placements, so tbh a Primary 6 class would be different to high schoolers.

ReputationRep:
    You have to be authoritative, as sad as it to say =/
    You need to raise your voice and give 'em a look of utter disgust. I know it sounds bad and tbh it is, I would to hate to have to do it, but I know I'll have too. After they see the way you look at them and volume/tone of voice, they'll fall in line after a few times.

May I ask, what year do you teach? As I'm a Primary School Teaching student and only on placements, so tbh a Primary 6 class would be different to high schoolers.
    I teach secondary

ReputationRep:
    I teach secondary
    If you teach secondary, I would be firm but fair. If someone is misbehaving, pull them outside and explain that you don't like their attitude and if it continues you will take it to someone higher maybe like the head teacher of something? But don't embarrass them in the class - I know from experience (not me, because I was an angel student!) that they will just hate you and you'll become known as the strict ***** who nobody wants to see on their time table at the start of the year. Be jokey with them but get the point across that they're there to learn and if they behave like primary school children messing around and taking the pee you will treat them as though they are primary school children. As long as you're nice to the majority of the class you'll get a rep for being a cool teacher and anyone that gives you grief will probably be shunned by their peers for giving their fave teacher hassle. Hope it helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucozade sport)
    Are you two the same person?
    ermm no lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't change the font size away from the TSR default except for emphasis.

You do whatever the school has given you to work with in their acceptable behaviour policy. Use it or lose it, because when the kids see that you aren't, occasional uses won't be any help, and it will be mayhem in your classes.

ReputationRep:
    punish them the same way they do in the military. if someone's texting get them to do 20 push ups

ReputationRep:
    Texting - confiscate the phone and give it to their head of year/the head of your dept, who ever is scarier and say they have to get it back from them.
    Swinging on chairs = standing up for the rest of the lesson
    Not doing work = not allowed to leave/back for detention until they have done it.
    Persistent chatting when you are expecting silence - keep them all behind the number of minutes they have made you wait - peer pressure soon kicks in.
    Talking back - write in their diaries/demerit them/whatever sanctions your school uses. If it is persistent then detention. If they are defiant or don't turn up, report them to their Head of Year.

You have to be firm, consistent and relentless. Continue phoning home. Seek help from more senior members of staff. Sometimes it takes a while for it to sink in, but once they know that your will is stronger and you have the school on your side, they will come round to it. Once they are giving you the level of respect you deserve, you can ease off a bit, deal with things with a sense of humour and enjoy the whole teaching thing more.

ReputationRep:
    Lots of ways work.

Some of the teachers at my school are very likable so even the miscreants make an effort to behave simply because they don't want to annoy / upset someone they like.

The highly respected teachers always have orderly classes without having to raise their voices or anything but getting in that position takes a lot of time.

Then there are the people that that turn red and scream at anyone who misbehaves too much to the point where the student is literally terrified.

Harsh but fair always works well. Make it perfectly clear what is acceptable and if anyone breaks the rules they get punished with no exceptions. One of my teachers gives everyone a single warning then if they do anything wrong again he just sends them out and doesn't let them back in. I haven't ever seen him angry either, he just politely asks them to leave and if they refuse he calls the head to have them removed.

ReputationRep:
    Maintain a balance between fun/serious - let them have fun but be authoritative when needed.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly dislike students like that.......more than happy to mess around, either hit them with reality or just carry on punishing them continuously, if they are repeated offenders then up the punishment.

ReputationRep:
    Act more confidently in front of them, take no notice of their misbehaviour, after all they will be cheating themselves in the exam. Maybe get a senior teacher to observe the lesson- don't tell the students but tell the senior to come in in the middle/ time they usually start misbehaving? Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    Tell them you've been reported to Operation Yewtree.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 20, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.