Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

This is anon because I think it's quite petty tbh, but I wanted to know people's opinions. As in most houses we have 2 average size bedrooms and 1 small. My younger sister had the small bedroom up until I went to uni then I moved into the small bedroom, which was completely fine with me and fair.

Now, my sister is going to uni for 3 years in September and I'm moving home permanently for the forseeable future, I don't think there is any chance I will be moving out in the next 3 years or so.

The thing is we are not swapping back bedrooms. My mum said to me a while ago that I should be allowed to have the big bedroom back, because I will be living at home permanently doing a masters degree and will need somewhere to be able to do my work. My current bedroom is so small that I can't even move in it let alone have space to do work on a desk... However, my sister had a huge tantrum (literally) about having to move back into the smaller bedroom, even though she's going to be moving out for 3 years at least. So she's going to have two bedrooms, and the bigger bedroom is going to be unused for months while I am cramped in a tiny bedroom..

I don't find this fair tbh? People's opinions please?

I can understand her not wanting to move out of her bedroom but she will have another bedroom at uni so why does she need to stay in it? I don't know if I am being selfish wanting the big bedroom back or if she is being selfish not letting me have it?

:confused:

ReputationRep:
    she is being extremely childish if she won't give you her room when shes moving out anyway, she has no need for it. What are your parents saying? surely they overrule her?
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Just change it whilst she's away? What's she going to do?

ReputationRep:
    She's being immature and fairly unreasonable but... you have to remember that she lived in that tiny bedroom for fifteen years. I'm sure you could imagine why she wouldn't want to give it up.

Although unfair, I think you should use your current room to sleep in and to work, use her bedroom. Maybe occasionally use her's when you need a good nights sleep, have company around and so forth; but otherwise, until she comes around to the idea, respect her partially crazy wishes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    This is anon because I think it's quite petty tbh, but I wanted to know people's opinions. As in most houses we have 2 average size bedrooms and 1 small. My younger sister had the small bedroom up until I went to uni then I moved into the small bedroom, which was completely fine with me and fair.

Now, my sister is going to uni for 3 years in September and I'm moving home permanently for the forseeable future, I don't think there is any chance I will be moving out in the next 3 years or so.

The thing is we are not swapping back bedrooms. My mum said to me a while ago that I should be allowed to have the big bedroom back, because I will be living at home permanently doing a masters degree and will need somewhere to be able to do my work. My current bedroom is so small that I can't even move in it let alone have space to do work on a desk... However, my sister had a huge tantrum (literally) about having to move back into the smaller bedroom, even though she's going to be moving out for 3 years at least. So she's going to have two bedrooms, and the bigger bedroom is going to be unused for months while I am cramped in a tiny bedroom..

I don't find this fair tbh? People's opinions please?

I can understand her not wanting to move out of her bedroom but she will have another bedroom at uni so why does she need to stay in it? I don't know if I am being selfish wanting the big bedroom back or if she is being selfish not letting me have it?

:confused:
    No, you are being being perfectly reasonable about what your doing.....

The room was yours in the first place, and you understood that the room would go to waste.
    So why should the room go to waste in this case as well............... why does her having a tantrum allow her to keep the room, it further adds to the reason that she is being unreasonable and will do anything to keep the room.

Plus why does she get a viewpoint on this....... her say isn't the final say at all, its your mother's decision and regardless of what she says......... the moment she leaves, move her stuff to the small bedroom and move into the bigger room.

ReputationRep:
    Do what cats do and mark your territory by spraying the room with urine.

Or talk to your mum about it. From what you've said, your sister is being a bit of a brat tbh. I can understand why she wouldn't want to give up the best bedroom, but she's moving out, so it's fair to say you deserve it more.

ReputationRep:
    id just move in anyway, girls at uni **** she gon' do?

Thanks for the replies!

Initially my mum said I should be allowed to move back into the big room once I'm home and she's gone, then when we mentioned it to her she had a flip about it, then my mum started saying 'Well she did have the small room for 15 years and that room is hers now' which is fully understandable. She keeps saying things like 'I feel guilty that she won't be here most of the time and you'll be stuck in a tiny room.'

We just live in a tiny house.. There is literally nowhere for me to do my work and I need a desk to be able to do it properly. It's hard trying to organise my work etc over my bed when I'm home and sit on my laptop on my bed and I know I can't do a masters like that

I'm also in a long-term relationship and my boyfriend can never stay over because I've not got a double bed in my room.. we would have to knock walls down for it to fit.. which I probably will have to do because it's not really fair for him to have to sleep on the sofa plus I think I've got a right to have my boyfriend stay over?

ReputationRep:
    shes going to be gone move in anyway whats she going to do ?

(Original post by Iqbal007)
    No, you are being being perfectly reasonable about what your doing.....

The room was yours in the first place, and you understood that the room would go to waste.
    So why should the room go to waste in this case as well............... why does her having a tantrum allow her to keep the room, it further adds to the reason that she is being unreasonable and will do anything to keep the room.

Plus why does she get a viewpoint on this....... her say isn't the final say at all, its your mother's decision and regardless of what she says......... the moment she leaves, move her stuff to the small bedroom and move into the bigger room.
    My mum feels guilty both ways apparently.

Guilty if she makes my sister move out of the room because she's made it nice etc, and guilty because I'll be home full-time and have a small room. I'm not going to win Just going to be cramped in a tiny room whilst trying to do a masters degree lol... and live!

ReputationRep:
    My mum feels guilty both ways apparently.

Guilty if she makes my sister move out of the room because she's made it nice etc, and guilty because I'll be home full-time and have a small room. I'm not going to win Just going to be cramped in a tiny room whilst trying to do a masters degree lol... and live!
    So what if she's made it "nice"....... you can make it nice anyone can, also even it looks nice, it will be unused for long periods of time, which is unfair.
    Once she leaves, just move her stuff and its your room............ she's being reasonable, and think about it yourself, why should you be stuck in a small room which is cramped, which will affect your well being and masters, life, etc while theres a perfectly good room nearby which no one is using?

ReputationRep:
    It is quite selfish of your sister but you should probably be glad that your parents are being generous enough to let you stay at home, possibly rent free while you study. As there will only be you and your parents there the house should be quiet so you could easily study in the kitchen or go to a library like a lot of other students do.

ReputationRep:

Initially my mum said I should be allowed to move back into the big room once I'm home and she's gone, then when we mentioned it to her she had a flip about it, then my mum started saying 'Well she did have the small room for 15 years and that room is hers now' which is fully understandable. She keeps saying things like 'I feel guilty that she won't be here most of the time and you'll be stuck in a tiny room.'

Just swap back when she's gone. Your mum sounds like a pushover, agreeing with whoever she's with at the time, and that'll be you. If it's preying on your conscience, you're clearly in the right as the sensible option is to utilise the space.

I'm also in a long-term relationship and my boyfriend can never stay over because I've not got a double bed in my room.. we would have to knock walls down for it to fit.. which I probably will have to do because it's not really fair for him to have to sleep on the sofa plus I think I've got a right to have my boyfriend stay over?
    Erm, no. But that doesn't make you having the big room any less sensible.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.