Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it possible to add muscle mass without resistance training? Watch

ReputationRep:
    If I were to, for example, do 200 pressups, 200 abdominal crunches and 100 pullups every other day (with a 1 day break), as well as consuming a large amount of protein per day (about 80-100g a day) would I bulk up/put on muscle mass? I ask only because I want to build muscle but I can't afford gym membership or to buy a decent weight set.

ReputationRep:
    Well you would build muscle, not sure how much though - but why 200 pressups/200 crunches? - if you can do 200, then the exercise is way too easy for you and you should make it more difficult.

ReputationRep:
    A pullup bar is good. This channel might be useful: https://www.youtube.com/user/bodyweightraining

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Mehdi Pak)
    If I were to, for example, do 200 pressups, 200 abdominal crunches and 100 pullups every other day (with a 1 day break), as well as consuming a large amount of protein per day (about 80-100g a day) would I bulk up/put on muscle mass? I ask only because I want to build muscle but I can't afford gym membership or to buy a decent weight set.
    1. Pressups and pullups are resistance training. Your muscles don't make adaptions depending on whether resistance is provided by barbells, dumbbells, bales of hay or you bodyweight.

2. Yes, you can add muscle without any resistance training. As you grow from a toddler to a grown man, you put on a fair amount of muscle regardless of how much resistance training you do. Of course, guys that grow up playing sports, lifting stuff or generally doing things where strength is a factor are more likely to grow more muscle than otherwise.

Anyone who stuffs there face and gets fat will also be adding a small amount of lean muscle at the same time. Basically, when you put food into your system, your body has to somehwo store it. The easiest thing to do is just turn it into fat which is what will happen in the most case. The point of resistance training from the point of view of adding muscle is to encourage your body to make adaptions which lead to the greater potential of using excess food energy to build new skeletal muscle.

3. Doing the same training every day is unlikely to lead to anything apart from getting more efficient at doing the same thing. Progressive overload is what creates stimulus for adaption. This means that you have to make your training progressively harder if you hope to get stronger and add mass.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.