Kittens Watch

Purple
Badges: 15
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
My cat is having kittens in about 4 weeks, is there anything I need to do? Feed it something different etc?
*~aLiCe~*
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
Aw, that's so nice
Not sure if you should do anything different, my cat had kittens but I was too young to remember... as far as I know we didn't change anything, just gave her lots of food!
frost105
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Lots of food and water and somewhere comfortable for her to rest and ssecluded for her to give birth and make sure that your vets aware of the situation.
pumpkin7
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
make sure she is kept somewhere warm, and has a good supply of food and water.
to be honest, i hope you know how to take care of kittens, especially if the mother rejects any of them (which can sometimes happen).. they also might need help with feeding through a serringe (spl?) within the first few weeks, but they need to be kept warm.

hmm.. if you are asking a question like this though, surely you aren't ready for kittens...
sophisti_kate
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by pumpkin7)

hmm.. if you are asking a question like this though, surely you aren't ready for kittens...
It's a bit late for advice like that, isn't it?
afhstingray
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
tsk tsk you should have had a chat with your cat about the dangers of unprotected sex!!!

givev the vet a ring, he'd probably be able to give u better advice!
pendragon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Awww.... little kittens :p:

they are so cute, I love them, I wish we had kittens again. :p:

One piece of advice - take lots of photos because they grow up so fast.
LpLex
Report 12 years ago
Yes, be absolutely sure that the kittens stays warm for the next few days. As they are just born, they will be incredibly weak. Some people takes to feeding the kitten themselves, but I don't think it is really necessary.

Keep a vet handy and closeby, in case of birth difficulties.

When the time comes, place the mother in a cardboard, top cut away and open, with soft cloth. After it is finished, wash or throw the cloth away.
Purple
We are going to the vets so they will be able to answer any questions we have, I just wanted to know what to do between now and then. We still have a month to learn about feeding the kittens if they are rejected.
Purple
(Original post by LpLex)
Yes, be absolutely sure that the kittens stays warm for the next few days. As they are just born, they will be incredibly weak. Some people takes to feeding the kitten themselves, but I don't think it is really necessary.

Keep a vet handy and closeby, in case of birth difficulties.

When the time comes, place the mother in a cardboard, top cut away and open, with soft cloth. After it is finished, wash or throw the cloth away.
We have a box ready, next to her bed, I am hoping she will start sleeping in it.
LpLex
Report 12 years ago
She don't have to sleep in it. Just keep an eye on her, and if there are signs of a coming delivery, just gently place her in the box.

Generally cats are pretty independent animals, so don't worry much. She'll be fine. It's part of their instinct, looking after their young.

Cheers, Lex.
Timeslikethese
Badges:
Report 12 years ago
make sure she is kept somewhere warm, and has a good supply of food and water.
to be honest, i hope you know how to take care of kittens, especially if the mother rejects any of them (which can sometimes happen).. they also might need help with feeding through a serringe (spl?) within the first few weeks, but they need to be kept warm.

Ooh kittens are so sweet, u soud like u know alot about it - have u had kittens?

Oh and it's syringe xx
Timeslikethese
Badges:
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by pendragon)
Awww.... little kittens :p:

they are so cute, I love them, I wish we had kittens again. :p:

One piece of advice - take lots of photos because they grow up so fast.
A softie at heart! x
pendragon
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Timeslikethese)
A softie at heart! x
Yeah.... got me. I absolutely love kittens, I rescued a malnourished pregnant street cat and fed her up so she could have her kittens at our place. As a result even after finding homes for a couple of them we know have 5 cats. :p: I have tried to save orphaned kittens too on a couple of occasions, but only one of them survived... sigh that was so hard, I dont go looking for them now, but I cant help trying if I come across one. The last one I took to the vet, and I could tell that he though it very little chance of surviving, it was during the tsunami and I was far more upset about the little kitten dying - I called it Paddington, and buried it in our garden.

little kittens are so precious, it is a gift to have them be born in your house
Piglet384
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Make sure she's being fed at least twice as much as normal just before giving birth and for several weeks after while she is feeding her kittens. Don't be too shocked when she gets skinny while feeding them, it's a huge strain on her body.

And another thing, get her spayed as soon as you can. There are far too many unwanted cats in the world as it is.
LpLex
Report 12 years ago
Yeah.... got me. I absolutely love kittens, I rescued a malnourished pregnant street cat and fed her up so she could have her kittens at our place. As a result even after finding homes for a couple of them we know have 5 cats. :p: I have tried to save orphaned kittens too on a couple of occasions, but only one of them survived... sigh that was so hard, I dont go looking for them now, but I cant help trying if I come across one. The last one I took to the vet, and I could tell that he though it very little chance of surviving, it was during the tsunami and I was far more upset about the little kitten dying - I called it Paddington, and buried it in our garden.

When my cat died when I was a kid, I cried for days.. To be fair, I'm closer to cats than dogs..
Sithius
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Reminds me when my mum came bursting into my room when I was like 8 (can't remember age) and said 'Wellie has had kittens!" (my 13 year old cat) and I thought she was for real too.

April fools.
Timeslikethese
Badges:
Report 12 years ago

That's such a lovely thing to do!

See, there are nice men in the world after all!
pendragon
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Timeslikethese)
That's such a lovely thing to do!

See, there are nice men in the world after all!
Thats nice of you to say :hugs:

I am pathetic when it comes to small animals, I cry when I watch watership down.
Timeslikethese
Badges:
Report 12 years ago
Thats nice of you to say :hugs:

I am pathetic when it comes to small animals, I cry when I watch watership down.
Lol so does my mum, even singin the song makes her upset lmao! So cute.

little animals are the cutest things, I think animals are better company than ppl after a long day sometimes, so loyal.

I have a little jack russell dog, shes mini and at her maximum size! Love her to bits!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (189)
39.54%
No - but I will (28)
5.86%
No - I don't want to (33)
6.9%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (228)
47.7%

Watched Threads