Ignition Barrel? Watch

FlutterByKisses
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
If anyone can solve this one I'd be eternally grateful and will love you forever...

I'm having trouble starting my car... Its a VW Polo CL... At the minute the most logical explanation I can think of is that my car hates me (and only gets turned on when theres a man inside her :p: )

More seriously, I really am having trouble. When I turn the key the engine won't turn over. Yet it seems as though whenever one of the blokes at work tries to get her going she'll go first time... start fine with no trouble. She'll occassionally start for me... but never when I really need her to... I was stuck for ages the other day trying to start the car, had to get a mate from work to come and rescue me.

It'll jump start fine... and will start from the key... just for some reason won't go every time for me, but will for the guys at work. I can't think of a logical explanation, especially as it's only been like this for the past couple of days, and has been perfect before. Someone suggested I needed a new battery, yet my battery appears to be working fine in that lights etc work, not dimmed in the slightest, etc. Only other thing I can think of is the ignition barrel...

Any ideas really really appriciated.. need the car for work as well as to get home from uni in a couple of days, etc. and being at Keele Uni means that I have nothing, such as supermarkets and the like within walking distance... :p:

Thanks in advance to any miracle workers out there...
pghstochaj
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
More than likely it's the starter motor solenoid, next time it happens have a hammer with you and hit the starter motor, it should start. Needs replacing in the long run. Scrap yard job depending on the car, now read VW Polo, yep, definitely scrapyard job.

Hope that helps.

To add to the above, it is more than likely to be that, however, there is a small chance it could be your immobiliser (if fitted). If you know whether your immobiliser stops the fuel or stops the starter motor you will know whether to ignore that or not. If it stops the fuel the car will turn over but not start (most common). If it stops the starter, you will have the same as you describe above. Usually immobiliser is an induction loop on your ignition barrel area. Then it gets more complicated and very much car model dependent. However, this is unlikely as most cars have fuel stop immobilisers and not ignition stop immobilisers. So ignore this unless you rule out my first suggestion.
Né Stig
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
A battery it still could be, as it has enough time to recharge when left overnight. And when the car is going, your headlights wouldn't be dimmed in the slightest.

Engine Management System (EMS) could be at fault. If anything to do with the injectors, or the ignition, you will need to speak to your local garage. This is not really a problem that could be resolved by dialogue, but more so by a diagnostic check.
pghstochaj
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Nah, battery won't be it otherwise it would turn over slightly and fail, lights would also dim too, as 100W+ is a fair whack. To check that however, next time you go to turn it on and it won't work, have the headlights on and turn the key, if it is trying to start then the lights will dim, if the solenoid is failed then the lights will stay same brightness. Also, if when it does work, it cranks and starts 100% as normal, it can't be the battery.

Any other fault would mean it difficult to run at other times and would not usually mean it starts intermitantly. I would put money on the starter solenoid and I am not a betting man.

It really is a common and basic problem on most starter motors and nothing unusual.

As I said before, if it isn't this, it will be a more complex and subtle electrical problem - hence why it runs fine when it actually starts. You do say it jump starts fine, when you say it jump starts fine are you should you don't mean pushing it fixes it? - That works as you pushing it acts as the starter. If you jump start it and it works it could be a coincidence or the combined battery boost helps the solenoid.

Easiest way to prove it is to hit the solenoid with a hammer next time it happens a few times and see if that fixes it.
stevoboy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeh sounds like starter solenoid. Next time it wont start try wiggling the key around. If it doesnt make any difference then its almost certainly the solenoid. Immobilisers on the polo will just prevent the ECU from injecting fuel - it will still turn over fine. The ignition barrels on polos are perhaps a bit dodgy though - on mine I can switch the ignition on by just prodding it with my finger, although it never gives any trouble. The starter is a bit of a pain to get to because of the inlet manifold in the way but you can just about do it. Remeber to disconnect the battery while youre playing down there though! (unfused live)
FlutterByKisses
Rep:
?
ok... that would make my next question being where is my starter motor? i know where the alternator is.. not that thats much use at the min.. Stupid car... was working fine a couple of days ago...
pghstochaj
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Got a haynes manual? If not, say what year your polo is and somebody who knows might have one. If nobody has, try a Polo forum
FlutterByKisses
Rep:
?
It's a polo cl L reg..
Né Stig
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
^ Just come accross this for wher your solenoid may be. This may be of some assistance:

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...3Doff%26sa%3DN

Wow - thats a lengthy link :eek:
gbduo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Right,

Open the bonnet, basically what you will see is a big lump of metal called an engine...just joking...no really! Ok, i'm stop being so patronising now...on the right hand side of the engine, the engine will stop being so vertical and become more horizontal, there will be like a cone shaped object with probably two cables going to it, this is the gear change and clutch cables. Now, just slightly behind this cone shaped object is the flywheel, the starter motor works by spinning the flywheel. Right, you need to look to the back of the engine and inbetween the vertical parts of the engine and the cone shaped object will be like two round metal objects, a small round object on top of a BIG motor, this is the starter motor. Most likely there will also be beefy cables going to both, what you need to hit with a hammer is the small round metal object on top of the starter motor and then try to start the car. I find it better to hit it with a bit spanner, but the downside is that if you hit the solenoid and for some reason the car turns over (say your friend turns the key) you will basically be shocked by 300+ Amps current...basically you will get seriously bad burns or at worse dead. This is rather a big risk, but spanners always work for me, fecking big spanner tho!

I hope this explains where the solenoid is in laymans terms, i have a VW car basically, so if you can't find it, i will take pictures for you ASAP. I have exams tomorrow...but i will try!

Graham
dhutch
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Personaly if i where you, i would suggest taking it to a garage. Or possable a scrapyard (the blokes whos runs our local one is right good man, and will help anyone in trouble)

Prefrable a local garage where you know the people. Ask them for there thoughts. Hopfully the car will reproduce the fault, and they will be able diagnosie it, better than we can, there acctaully there, rather than relying on info (tho good) relayed to/from the forum.

Daniel
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (427)
37.89%
No - but I will (87)
7.72%
No - I don't want to (76)
6.74%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (537)
47.65%

Watched Threads