Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The pill and breakingthrough bleeding - or not? Watch

• View Poll Results: How many do you run back to back,and do you get breakthrough?
    2 packs make me breakthrough.
    37.50%
    I run 2 packs because 3 makes me breakthrough.
    12.50%
    I run 3 packs and get no breakthrough
    25.00%
    Sometimes I breakthrough with 3, sometimes I don't.
    25.00%

ReputationRep:
    I often run two packs back to back and have no problems with breakthroughs etc...but I was thinking of trying 3 back to back, but wondered how likely it'd be that it'd cause breakthroughs. I know the only way to find out is to try, but wanted some research first!!

Please vote!

ReputationRep:
    You need to be careful with taking pills back to back. I have to stop running 2 and 3 now as the levels of hormones throws my body way out of balance and I'm such a state, from overly emotional, to aggressive etc etc. It is recommended that you do no more than 3 back to back, but if you're usually okay with two or three then thats fine, but if you do it too much then it will mess your body up and it will increase your risk of infertility

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amyhoughton95)
    You need to be careful with taking pills back to back. I have to stop running 2 and 3 now as the levels of hormones throws my body way out of balance and I'm such a state, from overly emotional, to aggressive etc etc. It is recommended that you do no more than 3 back to back, but if you're usually okay with two or three then thats fine, but if you do it too much then it will mess your body up and it will increase your risk of infertility
    Actually there's no risks to running them back to back. I used to do it continuously which was so much better for me. The reason the pills have a gap is because when it was invented, by men, they thought women would be more comfortable having something which mimiced their period. It's actually a withdrawal bleed, and not a period at all, so there's no reason to have it. After a while you stop getting breakthrough bleeding. I hardly had any while I did

ReputationRep:
    I run at least 2 packs together and usually get to the end of the third before breakthrough bleeding starts, although I believe I have got halfway through 4 packs before! This has been the same on Microgynon, Yasmin and Marvelon. Once I start breakthrough bleeding it continues until I have the 7 day break unfortunately. I've been on the pill for 8 years and took it like this from the start - I've never done the 'proper' 3 weeks on, 1 week off thing. **** periods.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 8, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.