Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Earlier today I had a very interesting situation in regards to my school's AUP:

About a month ago, after being angry with a particular teacher, for very good reasons which he has since apologised for, I tweeted a relatively rude message about him, to vent my frustration.

Today, my housemaster came up to me out of the blue and said another member of staff had seen my tweet and wanted me to delete it.

Quite rightly, I was furious about this. Firstly I think it is pretty dodgy for a random teacher, who doesn't even have anything to do with IT, to be looking at pupil's personal twitter accounts.

Secondly this particular teacher would have had to scroll down pages of my twitter to see this particular tweet, which I think it quite sad.

Thirdly it was posted from my phone using 3G, so technically would not be covered by the AUP.

Additionally my account is not associated with the school in any way, other than the fact I follow the school twitter account.

Whilst what I posted was in the public realm, it is not like the teacher saw it by coincidence, I don't think it is the school's business to be scrolling through pupil's personal twitter feeds.

What does everyone think of this?
    (I am currently considering whether to make a serious complaint to the senior management)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hewitt)
    Earlier today I had a very interesting situation in regards to my school's AUP:

About a month ago, after being angry with a particular teacher, for very good reasons which he has since apologised for, I tweeted a relatively rude message about him, to vent my frustration.

Today, my housemaster came up to me out of the blue and said another member of staff had seen my tweet and wanted me to delete it.

Quite rightly, I was furious about this. Firstly I think it is pretty dodgy for a random teacher, who doesn't even have anything to do with IT, to be looking at pupil's personal twitter accounts.

Secondly this particular teacher would have had to scroll down pages of my twitter to see this particular tweet, which I think it quite sad.

Thirdly it was posted from my phone using 3G, so technically would not be covered by the AUP.

Additionally my account is not associated with the school in any way, other than the fact I follow the school twitter account.

Whilst what I posted was in the public realm, it is not like the teacher saw it by coincidence, I don't think it is the school's business to be scrolling through pupil's personal twitter feeds.

What does everyone think of this?
    (I am currently considering whether to make a serious complaint to the senior management)
    So, the teacher probably looked because another student had told a staff member about it

I am afraid that I do see it as the school's business to protect it's reputation and that would include accessing student accounts where there is no privacy protection

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.