Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Im in year 12 and want to do veterinary nursing at the RVC or middlesex uni.

I have had veterinary work experience (2 weeks) before along with Zoo experience (8 days) but this was ALL organised over emails/CVs and online applaications respectivly. (Which are excellent btw )

Im planning to do more work experience like another 2weeks at a vets (Or 4 weeks altogether just split between 2 practises)
    and weekend volunteering at a farm/stable over the summer and after exams (0_o) are over.

However after looking at other threads some people advise to phone up first BUT Im not sure what to say over the phone asking for work experience as im terrefied I will come accross weired or awkward over the phone and im worried that I will be disrupting them.

1)Whats better emailing for work experience or phoning directly?

2) What should I say over the phone while putting my point accross that commited to becoming a Vet nurse/going to uni and not being another timewaster.

3)Any general advice would be REALLY helpful!

Thanks!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Different strokes for different folks, I think. In my opinion, emails tend to come across as more professional, but calling them up gets you an instant response, so you're not waiting for days to hear a reply that might not even come. I tend to phone up, but then usually get told to write in anyway. Farms are probably a lot less fussy, my dairy and stable placements for example have been organised entirely over the phone, but vets tend to want you to write in.

As for what you should say, "My name is XXX, I was just wondering whether or not you provide work experience for XXX year olds?" has worked for me .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jay95)
    Hi,

I have had veterinary work experience (2 weeks) before along with Zoo experience (8 days) but this was ALL organised over emails/CVs and online applaications respectivly. (Which are excellent btw )

Im planning to do more work experience like another 2weeks at a vets (Or 4 weeks altogether just split between 2 practises)
    and weekend volunteering at a farm/stable over the summer and after exams (0_o) are over.

However after looking at other threads some people advise to phone up first BUT Im not sure what to say over the phone asking for work experience as im terrefied I will come accross weired or awkward over the phone and im worried that I will be disrupting them.

2) What should I say over the phone while putting my point accross that commited to becoming a Vet nurse/going to uni and not being another timewaster.

Thanks!
    If you're nervous about phoning I would send a letter or email, then follow it up with a phone call say a week later if you don't get a response, worked for me,

Make sure you make it clear that you want to do vet nursing not vet med too for example I know a practice that takes vet nurse experience but doesn't like vet med students being in consults etc.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Jay95)
    Hi,

Thanks!
    1) I have always called up first to see if they firstly take students, and secondly who they would like me to write my email to, unless there are specific directions written on their website to just email in. Then, I was usually asked to write an email or send a letter with my CV (expect from farms who are less fussy and normally, but not always, sort everything over the phone). If I did not get a response to my email (happens often), I would call them up again - my last equine vets took me 2 phone calls and about 3 emails before I got anywhere so sometimes they need a little reminder!

2) I would say "Hi, my name is xxx and I am at xx college. I want to go into veterinary nursing and would like to ask if you take students?"

3) Don't worry about pestering or chasing them. I normally phone up, send and email and phone them up again if I've not got a reply in 5 working days to ask if they got my application or not. They can filter out time wasters in this way who aren't committed or they might just be busy with other things and forget you. It gets easier the more you do it

On placements remember to always offer a helping hand even if they aren't nice tasks (e.g. if a kennel is dirty, offer to clean it out) as this can often show that you are keen and nice and the staff may wish to share more knowledge and build a better relationship with you. A notebook to write down interesting cases or what you've learned is very helpful too.

Book early - some places get filled up fast!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I usually email first so I can attach my CV and give a fairly detailed letter of application (my details, why I want to work there etc). All the places I've emailed have all replied back pretty much straight away, but my plan of action was that if they didn't email back within, say, two weeks, I would give them a ring. I was worried about this at first too but seriously, don't worry about it Start off by saying 'Hello, my name's xxx and I emailed you a couple of weeks ago asking if you had any work experience placements available?' and just go from there Good luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.