Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    As title says really, I'm really sensitive to caffeine to the point where I can't drink normal tea. I'm currently cutting for the summer and every diet/weight lose protein I have seen has some sort of caffeine in. While my diet is good I usually take a shake post workout as I often don't have easy access to food. If anyone know's of any then please let me know and a link to the site would be great. ( bare in mind I'm on a very poor student budget )

ReputationRep:
    You don't need a shake to meet your protein requirements, many people just use them for cheapness/convienience. Your best bet is to buy bulk or cheaper cuts of meat to meet your protein intake. Remember weight loss is about calories, eat less calories than your burning off and you'll lose weight simple.

ReputationRep:
    Eggs

ReputationRep:
    I'm talking about post workout, as I lift weights and do cardio so I need some sort of instant protein for muscle recovery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kieran1502)
    I'm talking about post workout, as I lift weights and do cardio so I need some sort of instant protein for muscle recovery.
    No you don't as long as you have a sufficient protein intake for the day. in some extreme cases where you have fasted for long periods of time then worked out, fast absorbing protein may be needed however such cases are few and far between.

Tl;Dr: Timing of protein is pretty much irrelevant if sufficient daily protein intake is met.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need instant protein. Your muscles aren't going to fall off.

In any case - if you want a protein supplement - just get normal cheap bog standard whey. Don't pay extra for something with 'diet' in the title; it is generally just normal whey and/or casein with cheap fillers like caffeine, green tea extract, something fibrous and often, quite lollably some cheap ass carb source like oats. Why anyone would pay more than the price of standard whey for something that is bulked out with oats which are laughably cheap is only a testament to the marketing industry.

ReputationRep:
    As title says really, I'm really sensitive to caffeine to the point where I can't drink normal tea. I'm currently cutting for the summer and every diet/weight lose protein I have seen has some sort of caffeine in. While my diet is good I usually take a shake post workout as I often don't have easy access to food. If anyone know's of any then please let me know and a link to the site would be great. ( bare in mind I'm on a very poor student budget )
    Your cutting yet muscle is denser than fat so your weight will not decrease substantially if there is no cardio element in your plan.

To see actual muscle definition it is wise to burn off the fat first to and that is different for everyone as height/weight affects the % of body fat you will need to be at to see muscle definition.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.