Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am applying to study Law at university in a few months and I know that this is a tough course to get in to- especially for universities down south in England.

cascscacssc

ReputationRep:
    That sounds good to me. Maybe if you have any spare time, sit at the back of a magistrates court or employment tribunal for a day? But it does sound as though you're well set already, so you can just focus on getting the grades and making your application really academically strong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubblyminty)
    I am applying to study Law at university in a few months and I know that this is a tough course to get in to- especially for universities down south in England.

I am wondering what other activities I could do to put on my personal statement to demonstrate my keen interest and show my skills. I have done some work experience at the Crown Office and shadowed some lawyers. I have a couple of more placements at various law firms which should be interesting. I am also doing further reading on the subject and entering a couple of essay competitions.

There is no mooting or debating opportunities in my area so I am quite gutted about that. I have also been looking for volunteering work but have not had much luck.

What else should I do?

Thank you for the help ^.^!
    You seem to be on the right track - do not worry about mooting/debating as it is rather hard to come by. You pretty much have the same credentials as I had last year in terms of extra-curricula and I hold 4 offers from the top 10. Make sure you state how you benefited or how you were affected by your reading/work experience in your personal statement. I also recommend doing unrelated work experience as well; volunteer at a primary school / help organise charity events etc. to show you are not all about the academics. Unfortunatetly, as you said Law (at the top universities) is competitive - you need to get those A grades at AS level to support your extra-curriculas; they can only help you to a certain point. Good luck with it all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Selym95)
    You seem to be on the right track - do not worry about mooting/debating as it is rather hard to come by. You pretty much have the same credentials as I had last year in terms of extra-curricula and I hold 4 offers from the top 10. Make sure you state how you benefited or how you were affected by your reading/work experience in your personal statement. I also recommend doing unrelated work experience as well; volunteer at a primary school / help organise charity events etc. to show you are not all about the academics. Unfortunatetly, as you said Law (at the top universities) is competitive - you need to get those A grades at AS level to support your extra-curriculas; they can only help you to a certain point. Good luck with it all!
    Yes I think that some sort of fundraising would be an interesting experience
    and make me look "caring" XD. I was looking at some stuff by Amnesty International which may be good to do. However all the advice based work from organisations has age restrictions and I am only 17. I already have quite a hectic part-time job which consists of 10 hour shifts so I could use that to say that I can balance my studies well.

And I have kept a log of all the things I have learned/ gained from my work experience, just in case I forget .

I should concentrate on my grades for the time being, my exams are next month and I do need all A's (I am doing Scottish Highers). And next year I am doing 4 Advanced Highers which will be pretty intense. It is just that everyone gets the same grades who apply for the top unis and I know that emphasis in put on the PS nowadays.

Thanks for the help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crumpet1)
    That sounds good to me. Maybe if you have any spare time, sit at the back of a magistrates court or employment tribunal for a day? But it does sound as though you're well set already, so you can just focus on getting the grades and making your application really academically strong.
    Thanks for the help. And I have been in various courts in the past week whilst doing my work experience. I will go again in Summer just to see the theatrics again!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.