Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I have a presentation coming up tomorrow morning at college and I am really struggling, I have to do a 5 minute presentation on a topic of my choice. I have already prepared the information on the slides so I don't have any problem with that, my main problem is that I don't think I can actually present it. I have suffered with anxiety for awhile and the thought of doing it makes me panic and worry, I think that I will mess it up and make an embarrassment of myself. Does anybody have and tips or something that can help me get through this?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was in your exact situation a few years ago. I really hate presenting myself! One tip I would give is try not to read directly off your slides. Use your slides to add points with a little info to help you. Then you can expand on each point yourself. Also take some notes with you if needed as a prompt. People keep saying Aww you'll get used to it the more you do it. Hopefully this is the case when I attend university. Oh and also remember everyone is in the same boat so will probs feel nervous too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by add4)
    Hi, I was in your exact situation a few years ago. I really hate presenting myself! One tip I would give is try not to read directly off your slides. Use your slides to add points with a little info to help you. Then you can expand on each point yourself. Also take some notes with you if needed as a prompt. People keep saying Aww you'll get used to it the more you do it. Hopefully this is the case when I attend university. Oh and also remember everyone is in the same boat so will probs feel nervous too

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for your reply, I was planning to take some notes with me to guide me through it and using the slides themselves as reference points for the class to look at, I just feel as though I will be looking at the notes the whole time and will struggle with using eye contact with people. I realise that other people will feel a similar way to me so I guess i can take some comfort from that.

ReputationRep:
    If anyone else is interested, I did the presentation today,and I'm glad it's over, I'm not going to lie and say that it went perfectly, but I gained feedback that will help me when in going to do them in the future. Basically, it's not a nice experience but its good to do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GreenStars)
    If anyone else is interested, I did the presentation today,and I'm glad it's over, I'm not going to lie and say that it went perfectly, but I gained feedback that will help me when in going to do them in the future. Basically, it's not a nice experience but its good to do it.
    I was about to reply to this with advice, but it seems like you have done just fine!

Well done

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations, just think that everyone is nervous about it and that nobody is going to even remember it in a day's time

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I have a presentation coming up tomorrow morning at college and I am really struggling, I have to do a 5 minute presentation on a topic of my choice. I have already prepared the information on the slides so I don't have any problem with that, my main problem is that I don't think I can actually present it. I have suffered with anxiety for awhile and the thought of doing it makes me panic and worry, I think that I will mess it up and make an embarrassment of myself. Does anybody have and tips or something that can help me get through this?
    I've got one on Friday too! Not looking forward to it either, just think though it's only 5 minutes of your time. When its over you don't have to do it again. Even if you mess up no one will care. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    HA! your lucky, i have a stammer and anxiety now thats bad! I can just say practice practice practice, i feel the more you know your presentation the easier it feels when actually presenting. When your walking up to the front of the class think about something else, think about something motivating where people with struggles can do amazing things. Thats exactly what i did anyway and it helped quite a bit, also while presenting really just dont give a f**k about what others think. Stare at them directly in the eyes and present, dont scare them but it does give you confidence.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.