Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I have a reputation at work for being gay, or gay in the closet. Now, I consider myself straight, but ultimately, my sexuality is no concern of anyone else's.

Yet mud sticks, and I must admit that it's getting me down a little now.

I cannot try to befriend any men at work, because it's "obviously" because I fancy them, and they will not allow it happen anyway because they have their rep to think of. :rolleyes:

Is it time to move on? Shall I just pretend I am gay after all, seeing as gay men don't get bullied, only suspected gays in the closet?

ReputationRep:
    watch 'the secret'

ReputationRep:
    'accused' might be the wrong word, it implies that it is wrong...

Perhaps it is just banter. Although it may be annoying and getting you down they may just view it as harmless banter. As for how to approach it I have no idea - sorry :/

ReputationRep:
    Don't pretend you're gay if you're not haha, there's no point!

ReputationRep:
    You make it sound like its a criminal offence.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Go get a girlfriend, then they'll shut up.

ReputationRep:
    Tell them to suck it! Wait don't, don't do that...

ReputationRep:
    Pretending to be gay seems like a bit of an eccentric reaction haha.
    Just tell them you're not , whether they believe you or not is down to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have a reputation at work for being gay, or gay in the closet. Now, I consider myself straight, but ultimately, my sexuality is no concern of anyone else's.

Yet mud sticks, and I must admit that it's getting me down a little now.

I cannot try to befriend any men at work, because it's "obviously" because I fancy them, and they will not allow it happen anyway because they have their rep to think of. :rolleyes:

Is it time to move on? Shall I just pretend I am gay after all, seeing as gay men don't get bullied, only suspected gays in the closet?
    The fact you said "consider" means you're not entirely sure of yourself. Either way your sexuality is of nobody's business. If you remain confident in yourself then you shouldn't feel down, sexuality doesn't define us entirely. The fact you feel you can't make friends with males because they feel you'll fancy them is preposterous, I talk to straight males all the time and if they feel uncomfortable talking to you because you are perceived as gay then that is their own insecurities and from what I've experienced a lot of guys who are straight and confident in themselves actually find it complimenting that a gay guy fancies them, anyway I digress. Just talk to them they'll get to know you and realise you are not gay.

Also "Gay men don;t get bullied?" There's a reason discrimination laws exist lol. Try growing up in a secondary school gay.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Get a girlfriend if you can. Don't be too obvious about it, but get one.

Also, please God don't pretend to be gay. That really won't help.

ReputationRep:
    You can't be ''accused'' of being gay. It's not a crime. :rolleyes:

(Original post by suffocation1992)
    Surely you can be accused of anything which damages your reputation (like being a Twilight fan? :p:)? In any case, though, I agree that there's nothing wrong with being gay!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tortious)
    Surely you can be accused of anything which damages your reputation (like being a Twilight fan? :p:)? In any case, though, I agree that there's nothing wrong with being gay!
    Haha this is very tort related. I remember we had to discuss last year whether being accused of being gay was defamatory.. according to Cruise v Express Newspapers, it is! Well, at a very basic level. the judgment was a lot more involved

P.S. "PRSOM"

Haha this is very tort related. I remember we had to discuss last year whether being accused of being gay was defamatory.. according to Cruise v Express Newspapers, it is! Well, at a very basic level. the judgment was a lot more involved

P.S. "PRSOM"
    I never covered that case - I always found defamation interesting, but we were only taught it superficially at the end of the course, so I dropped it for the exam.

*Whispers*

Come back to Law Chat...

ReputationRep:
    As others have said, "accused" isn't really the right word, surely? There's nothing wrong with being gay. Why do they think you're gay though? Actually, to be fair, it's not something you can help I suppose, my future housemate next year was convinced when he met me that I was a lesbian. :lol: Clearly just an aura I give off. But I don't know, treat it as banter and go and look for someone to date outside of work if it bothers you that much, and then prove to your colleagues that you're not. Would they seriously not talk to you? That's so juvenile it actually makes me angry. So immature.

ReputationRep:
    I get asked it all the time. Slightly less now that I am out to some people as bi, but if you're straight like you say you are then that's probably more difficult as people don't believe you. There is such thing as an effeminate straight guy - you only have to take celebrities like Darren Criss (yes, I know he plays a gay guy on Glee, but in real life he is straight), David Beckham and Adam Levine as examples.

ReputationRep:
    I got accused of being gay and I just played along and laughed with it.

ReputationRep:
    Of course you be accused of being gay... It's nothing to do with crime.

ReputationRep:
    Just get off with a female work colleague in front of them. Simples.

ReputationRep:
    I am gay and straight guys don't make assumptions when I speak to them, that part is probably in your head

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.