Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do You Ever Listen To Music You Don't Understand? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys;

Well, after listening to a bit of Rookiez is Punk'd (Japanese band), it got me thinking as to how many people on TSR listen to music they don't understand (I don't mean the fast rap or screamo stuff either that is not even considered human...).

Just wondered. =P

Although, while I don't understand Japanese, it is something I want to learn in the near(ish) future, hopefully alongside my degree next year!

Spoiler:
    Show

Song I can't seem to stop listening to at the moment

ReputationRep:
    All the time, Can, Kraftwerk, Neu!, Soda Stereo, Sigur Ros...
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I listen to Spanish music all the time, even though I can't understand what they're saying 98% of the time.

I hope to learn Spanish soon

ReputationRep:
    I'm a K-pop nut (from the pre-Gangnam Style era!), and I listen to lots of other non-English music too. I think it enhances the artistic talent if you can still enjoy a song without understanding the words.

ReputationRep:
    For some reason I love music I don't understand, especially Arabic.

ReputationRep:
    I like K-Pop and I don't understand a word of it, but I'm still obsessed.

ReputationRep:
    I listen to Rammstein, which are a German band. I speak no german, but after listening to the language for a while I can pick out some words.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nope. The lyrical content is important to me.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    Not usually, because I get a lot from lyrics, but I find Sigur Ros helps me sleep sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, some Latin American stuff and occasionally classical. Lyrics aren't really a big thing for me unless they are obviously the main feature in the music.

ReputationRep:
    German, French, Scandinavian, Russian, Japanese, Chinese... the list goes on. Mostly metal.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    yes I do.

ReputationRep:
    All the beats for Japanese songs sound similar

ReputationRep:
    I used to love listening to Maximum The Hormone (Japanese rock band)

ReputationRep:
    I remember that Nena's '99 Luftballons' (mistranslated as '99 Red Balloons') featuring in a GCSE German class

And who hasn't played 'Ca plane pour moi'?

To the groups that have already been mentioned in the thread, I'll add Indochine's 'J'ai demande a la lune' and Bap's 'Kristallnaach' and 'Verdamp Lang Her'

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I listen all sorts like Spanish, French, German, Japanese and Korean. I don't think whether I can fully understand the lyrics makes a whole lot of difference. Sure, it's great to understand them and feel a connection to the music via the lyrics but plenty of people will say that get a feeling from instrumentals, so I don't see the difference with lyrics sung in a foreign language. The voice is just another instrument adding to the emotion being conveyed by the music.

The best example I've come across is "Amsterdam" by Jacques Brel. I came across it on YouTube by accident and I had no idea what he was singing about but it was, and still is, one of the best performances I've ever seen. I don't need to understand the words to understand a passionate and authentic performance that creates all kinds of emotions in me.

ReputationRep:
    I usually listen to this when im down.

ReputationRep:
    Yep! I listen to kpop! And I started wayyyyy before Gangnam style AHAHA

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.