Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, im doing an investigation for my gcse coursework i am mixing together Sodium hydroxide and Hydrochloric acid, increasing the volume of them both proportionally and measuring the energy change (heat change) after each measurement.
    I don't why increasing the volume of acid and alkali proportionally increases the heat of neutralization.
    If someone can explain it to me using as much science as possible, i would be very grateful. ( i get marked on how much science is used)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i can help)
    Hello, im doing an investigation for my gcse coursework i am mixing together Sodium hydroxide and Hydrochloric acid, increasing the volume of them both proportionally and measuring the energy change (heat change) after each measurement.
    I don't why increasing the volume of acid and alkali proportionally increases the heat of neutralization.
    If someone can explain it to me using as much science as possible, i would be very grateful. ( i get marked on how much science is used)
    just like you said, you get marked on how much science you use. so your thoughts? (not our thoughts, as that would mean we are doing your work for you, no?)

I am pretty sure at GCSE, you know there are endothermic and exothermic reactions. Why is this reaction (neutralisation) exothermic? What does the enthalpy/energy change mean to you?

IF 2H2 + O2 ---> 2H2O
    this is an exothermic reaction (hence, hydrogen fuel cell technology can generate "clean" power)

energy change for this reaction (combustion of hydrogen, if you wish) would be expressed in terms of a fixed, standard units of the reactants used. in this context, if you use more moles of H2 and O2 simultaneously,
    1) do you produce more H2O?

2) if so, how would this effect total enthalpy/energy change for this rxn?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.