Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I need help on a business report I have to do - an assignment on Hays.
    I am stuck on the PEST analysis (political, economic, social techological factors affecting Hays). If anyone could help, I would very much appreciate it
    many thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M.Arshad)
    Hi,
    I need help on a business report I have to do - an assignment on Hays.
    I am stuck on the PEST analysis (political, economic, social techological factors affecting Hays). If anyone could help, I would very much appreciate it
    many thanks!

Hi there. I take it this is a first year assignment? Answering question as you've phrased would pretty much result in my handing you the complete essay.. so could I perhaps suggest that you define it a bit more narrowly - what, exactly, are you struggling with? Understanding the concept of a PEST, or coming up with factors that might affect a recruitment company?

If the latter, my best piece of advice would be to start with the factor you find most interesting, just to get the ball rolling. Say it's technology, which my experience as a marketing tutor tells me is the most common, how does technology affect:
    1) the way Hays conduct their business
    1b) how their clients look for jobs
    2) the structure of the industry
    3) competition

Think about recent technological advancements, as well as technology that's on the brink of changing things.. The impact of jobs websites (like monster, milkround) etc is easy and basic, but if this is a first year assignment, it's what you're expected to produce. For extra points, think about how the information collected about people through, say, social networks and new technologies like Google Glass might affect how we find jobs. Facebook knows more about you (http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...ng-to-know-you and http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...timate-secrets for instance) than Hays ever will. Think about how that could affect things, be original, be creative!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salgoud)
    Hi there. I take it this is a first year assignment? Answering question as you've phrased would pretty much result in my handing you the complete essay.. so could I perhaps suggest that you define it a bit more narrowly - what, exactly, are you struggling with? Understanding the concept of a PEST, or coming up with factors that might affect a recruitment company?

If the latter, my best piece of advice would be to start with the factor you find most interesting, just to get the ball rolling. Say it's technology, which my experience as a marketing tutor tells me is the most common, how does technology affect:
    1) the way Hays conduct their business
    1b) how their clients look for jobs
    2) the structure of the industry
    3) competition

Think about recent technological advancements, as well as technology that's on the brink of changing things.. The impact of jobs websites (like monster, milkround) etc is easy and basic, but if this is a first year assignment, it's what you're expected to produce. For extra points, think about how the information collected about people through, say, social networks and new technologies like Google Glass might affect how we find jobs. Facebook knows more about you (http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...ng-to-know-you and http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...timate-secrets for instance) than Hays ever will. Think about how that could affect things, be original, be creative!
    I'm in my second year of law, this business report is a part of a new module which is being run for the first time. I absolutely hate studying business hence why I am struggling so much. The PEST analysis is just one small aspect of the report, not the entire thing. I just find it difficult to pick out and recognise what political, economic, social and technological factors affect Hays. Thus, I would appreciate any pointers. Thanks!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.