Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've registered on some job websites and allowed independent employers to view my cv as well. I'm 18 with no experience (awesome personal statement here ) and I just got an offer of a job in accounts of Bland Capital Ltd. They're offering big money and a paid course for people with no experience. They found me on their own.
    It's really suspicious to me and I can't find any useful info about them anywhere.
    Who are they?
    Is this a scam?
    Looks like a total scam to me... but I don't know much about this kind of things.

ReputationRep:
    I have had the exactly same email, talk about getting your hopes up!!!! Is it a scam????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by confused.student)
    I've registered on some job websites and allowed independent employers to view my cv as well. I'm 18 with no experience (awesome personal statement here ) and I just got an offer of a job in accounts of Bland Capital Ltd. They're offering big money and a paid course for people with no experience. They found me on their own.
    It's really suspicious to me and I can't find any useful info about them anywhere.
    Who are they?
    Is this a scam?
    Looks like a total scam to me... but I don't know much about this kind of things.

(Original post by Claire1983)
    I have had the exactly same email, talk about getting your hopes up!!!! Is it a scam????
    No it's obviously not a scam, why shouldn't an 18 year old with an awesome c.v get a job that offers big money and training with absolutely no prior knowledge of the career and fresh from school. In fact this has inspired me to become prime minister as I have three A levels!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woody-wood)
    No it's obviously not a scam, why shouldn't an 18 year old with an awesome c.v get a job that offers big money and training with absolutely no prior knowledge of the career and fresh from school. In fact this has inspired me to become prime minister as I have three A levels!
    Hmm... I'm sensing a loooad of sarcasm here... On the other hand tho I have 8 A levels, maybe that was the key :P

ReputationRep:
    Hmm... I'm sensing a loooad of sarcasm here... On the other hand tho I have 8 A levels, maybe that was the key :P
    It's probably a scam dude. But you can give them a ring to find out but make sure you ring them from a pay phone because if it does turn out to be a scam they charge you A LOT of money per minute .
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    It seems the company does exist (Bland Group Ltd is their proper name, Bland Group Capital Ltd seems to be a subsiduary), whether that means the job ad is legit I don't know. It could just be someone pretending to be part of the company when in fact they're not.

Scam recruiters tend to ask for money up front, as some kind of "entrance fee" or similar. If you get asked for cash at any point just walk away. Make sure the terms of the job are sound, with no funny surprises.

TBH if it looks too good to be true it probably is, but all you've got to lose is time, so long as they don't hoodwink you for money.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely seems suspicious. As Dez said, be wary if they ask you for money or bank details etc prematurely, apart from that might as well go along with it and see what happens.

Did you have to interview or did they literally just read your cv and give you an offer? If the latter then alarm bells are definitely ringing...

ReputationRep:
    Wow, thank you all for replies

The company does exist, yes, but it just looks "funny" to me. They don't want money, but they just sent a bank details request, so I'm out.

Still, many thanks

ReputationRep:
    Wow, thank you all for replies

The company does exist, yes, but it just looks "funny" to me. They don't want money, but they just sent a bank details request, so I'm out.

Still, many thanks
    What sort of bank details request? Do you have reason to believe it's some sort of money laundering operation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tokyoround)
    What sort of bank details request? Do you have reason to believe it's some sort of money laundering operation?
    No, I don't think so... although I don't know how exactly "money laundering" works. It just looks odd and I have a feeling it's better to give up here. There's a question on the application form: "Have you ever had a UK bank account?" and then it tells you to give the bank's name, the account number and some "Sort Code Number" (don't know what that is really...).
    Maybe it's nothing serious, just a job advertised pretty well... I don't know, I'm really new to this.
    However, the general rule of thumb is you don't give bank details over e-mail to some random people. Also when I first got the offer and replied "Yeah, sure, send details." they replied at once. When I asked a few simple questions (like the exact location and stuff) they went silent (well... have been so far).
    I'm giving up. You guys watch out.
    Thanks again for replies

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't think so... although I don't know how exactly "money laundering" works. It just looks odd and I have a feeling it's better to give up here. There's a question on the application form: "Have you ever had a UK bank account?" and then it tells you to give the bank's name, the account number and some "Sort Code Number" (don't know what that is really...).
    Maybe it's nothing serious, just a job advertised pretty well... I don't know, I'm really new to this.
    However, the general rule of thumb is you don't give bank details over e-mail to some random people. Also when I first got the offer and replied "Yeah, sure, send details." they replied at once. When I asked a few simple questions (like the exact location and stuff) they went silent (well... have been so far).
    I'm giving up. You guys watch out.
    Thanks again for replies
    Scam scam scam. Report to the site you were approached through. You won't need to give an employer bank details until way further into the process.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hedgeman49)
    Scam scam scam. Report to the site you were approached through. You won't need to give an employer bank details until way further into the process.
    I know it's a scam. I don't know exactly how they found me, cos I'd signed up to a load of websites and I just got an independent e-mail from them. I'll try to find them on a website, though. It might help someone.

ReputationRep:
    hello exactly the same thing happened to me, they asked for identification like passport and birth certificate and billing information they wanted photocopies and i replied im not giving out any info like that but i did give them my sort code and account number and name of bank. after that they didnt asked for that again and i started my training, what i had to do = "they put £385 in to my bank i had to withdraw the money then go to the nearest money shop and send it to Ukraine so i did they told me to keep £30 of the money and they want me to do the same on monday but £480 what should i do, im seriously considering keeping the £480 any advice would be nice " is this money laundry ???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darke88)
    hello exactly the same thing happened to me, they asked for identification like passport and birth certificate and billing information they wanted photocopies and i replied im not giving out any info like that but i did give them my sort code and account number and name of bank. after that they didnt asked for that again and i started my training, what i had to do = "they put £385 in to my bank i had to withdraw the money then go to the nearest money shop and send it to Ukraine so i did they told me to keep £30 of the money and they want me to do the same on monday but £480 what should i do, im seriously considering keeping the £480 any advice would be nice " is this money laundry ???
    Definitely money laundering. These guys need to be reported

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tokyoround)
    Definitely money laundering. These guys need to be reported

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'd gladly report them, be it for the sake of other people not getting into the "business", but all I have is an e-mail with no links to any official websites or anything... I did report the e-mail itself (to Google), but I think all they do is put this stuff in spam (if you're lucky).
    The e-mail address the "scammer" used is not on the official website or anywhere. I don't think the company itself is involved, it looks like someone's simply using the name.
    I gave up on them- as I've mentioned, but now I have a feeling I could do something more and I don't want to leave it and let someone else get into some sort of trouble or anything illegal. Anything I can do? Or how do I report this having as little data as a- kinda useless-looking- e-mail address?

ReputationRep:
    It's your call and none of my business what you do, but- just as a piece of advice- I think it would be way safer for you to get out of this, and soon.

ReputationRep:
    It's not as if they're taking anything off you, so take the opportunity

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You can keep the money but they might come after you if there's anyway they can trace it to you. This is what's happening to you.
    http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/cri...103740796.html

You're unintentionally aiding a criminal gang's attempts to launder money.

I'd just give the money to the police if I were you and let them take care of it rather than having a nasty surprise one day if the gang could get your address or work details and you might have a load of Ukrainians waiting to beat the crap out of you.

You really should've ignored any emails.

ReputationRep:
    Needs to be reported to your bank and to the police. If you continue doing this, eventually your bank WILL find out and you WILL go to jail. If you report it now you will likely be alright!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.