Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am in the final year of my BSc Psychology degree. During this degree I completed a placement year working as an Assistant Psychologist for the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service. I have also had experience mentoring first year UG's as well as GCSE level students at a local school. I have A Levels in Psychology, Business Studies and English Language & Literature, as well as an AS in Sociology. I have 11 GCSEs grades C and above.

I am very keen to become a Psychology teacher, but I am really unsure of the best way to do this?

I am not sure I can afford the debt of self-funding another qualification, but if that is the only route it is something I will have to do.

I would be happy to teach Psychology as my main subject, and then any of the other subjects I mentioned above as others.

How have other people become Psychology teachers? What options/routes into this career are out there? Would I need to gain experience in a school before I could apply to become a teacher? Any advice would be very much appreciated.

N

ReputationRep:
    Usually you will need a Psychology degree at 2.1 or above to be competitive, and several weeks experience working in a school for the age group you'd like to teach e.g. secondary/further education colleges. When I went to an open day for a Psychology PGCE programme the lecturer who was in charge of admissions said most successful candidates had at least a year's experience of being a teaching assistant (or something related), so experience before you apply is very important. She also went on to say that it's important for psychology teachers (and teachers in general) to be flexible in their skills, so you may be expected to teach subjects other than psychology to fill up your teaching day that you have sufficient knowledge in.

You may be entitled to student finance to support yourself through your PGCE so you don't have to pay for the fees upfront and a maintenance loan can cover some of your living expenses, but as far as I know psychology teacher training doesn't get you any government grants as it's not a shortage subject.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.