Lifting weights: a good way to lose weight? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
For some reason I think its a bad way to lose weight, but I'm not sure why.
I mean you can build muscle and use energy at the same time, so it must be a good thing right?

Oh what do you think would be a realistic goal to set myself say over a month? How much could I lose in a month realistically?
Chi3f
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Weight training is the true permenant method of losing fat. Hence why most good gym regimes will have both cardio and weight training
Lucyvet2006
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Lifting weights isn't a good way of losing weight- cardio is much more effective BUT as Chi3f says its best to do both- by building up your muscle mass you increase your metabolism because muscle cells have a higher rate of respiration than fat cells.
In a month, I'd say realistically aim for about half a stone (1 or 2 lbs a week is sensible weight loss, more than that is not v sustainable + often leads to you rapidly putting it all back on and more).
rock_eleven
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Lucyvet2006)
Lifting weights isn't a good way of losing weight- cardio is much more effective BUT as Chi3f says its best to do both- by building up your muscle mass you increase your metabolism because muscle cells have a higher rate of respiration than fat cells.
In a month, I'd say realistically aim for about half a stone (1 or 2 lbs a week is sensible weight loss, more than that is not v sustainable + often leads to you rapidly putting it all back on and more).
the actual resting calorie demands of muscle are pretty low. Nothing like the 50cals/lb/day you hear on bb.com etc. More like 5 or 6. So gaining muscle is unlikely to lead to particularly great increases in rmr BUT, the exercise you did to gain that muscle, the extra work capacity you have because of it, and the resulting extra stress placed on other systems during the more intense exercise youre capable of, would probably have more effect.

Anyway even ignoring that, trying to lose weight without lifting will probably lead to much less favorable body composition in the end (i.e. less fat lost, more muscle lost).

your question about how much you can lose in a month (in perfect conditions) is unanswerable without knowing more about your current state
bedbug
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
How many calories do you burn on average per day then if you burn 5 or 6 per lb? I've never thought about it.. how many do you burn total excluding any extra exercise you do? Just from basic bodily needs.
Troy :0)
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by rock_eleven)
the actual resting calorie demands of muscle are pretty low. Nothing like the 50cals/lb/day you hear on bb.com etc. More like 5 or 6. So gaining muscle is unlikely to lead to particularly great increases in rmr BUT, the exercise you did to gain that muscle, the extra work capacity you have because of it, and the resulting extra stress placed on other systems during the more intense exercise youre capable of, would probably have more effect.

Anyway even ignoring that, trying to lose weight without lifting will probably lead to much less favorable body composition in the end (i.e. less fat lost, more muscle lost).

your question about how much you can lose in a month (in perfect conditions) is unanswerable without knowing more about your current state

good points, but cardio should still make up more of the exercise regime (together with sensible diet) if fast weight loss is the goal.
Lucyvet2006
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by squirly)
How many calories do you burn on average per day then if you burn 5 or 6 per lb? I've never thought about it.. how many do you burn total excluding any extra exercise you do? Just from basic bodily needs.
The amount of calories you burn per day depends on your size, gender, body composition + activity level, if you're female your metabolism will be slower.

Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR): Most of the body's energy, about 60-70%, goes to supporting the ongoing metabolic work of the body's cells. This includes such activities as heart beat, respiration and maintaining body temperature. To determine your BMR:

For adult males - Multiply the body weight by 10; add double the body weight to this value.
[i.e., for a 150 lb male, 1,500 + (2 x 150)=1,800 cal/day BMR]

For adult females - Multiply body weight by 10; add the body weight to this value.
[i.e., for a 120 lb female, 1,200 + 120=1,320 cal/day BMR]

3600kcals equates to about 1lb in weight- so if you burn off 500kcals more than you eat each day, over a week you'll lose 1lb.
bedbug
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
For adult males - Multiply the body weight by 10; add double the body weight to this value.

For adult females - Multiply body weight by 10; add the body weight to this value.
[i.e., for a 120 lb female, 1,200 + 120=1,320 cal/day BMR] [/I]
How come men get double their body weight and women don't!? How ridiculously unfair.
dsch
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The amount of calories you burn per day depends on your size, gender, body composition + activity level, if you're female your metabolism will be slower.

Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR): Most of the body's energy, about 60-70%, goes to supporting the ongoing metabolic work of the body's cells. This includes such activities as heart beat, respiration and maintaining body temperature. To determine your BMR:

[i.e., for a 120 lb female, 1,200 + 120=1,320 cal/day BMR]

3600kcals equates to about 1lb in weight- so if you burn off 500kcals more than you eat each day, over a week you'll lose 1lb.
maybe even multiply body weight by 12 for men and by 11 for women? Makes more sense...
rock_eleven
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by coughsyrup)
maybe even multiply body weight by 12 for men and by 11 for women? Makes more sense...
any calculation is neccessarily innaccurate because its based on huge averages of populations. Theyre fine to get a rough idea, but someone may literally have to eat twice as much as another of equal weight, to gain weight. Same with weight-loss, its going to vary between people dramatically. Just use any calculation result as a guide and alter it according to what happens at that calorie intake
Ryan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yes, it is good for two reasons.

Firstly, it burns a lot of calories.

Secondly, you will gain muscle if done correctly, which burns more calories at rest.
xavier2k3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If you're a guy, yes it is a good way to loose weight. Just read this guys story: http://www.gynecomastia.org/cgi-bin/...num=1139156121

Don't know about for girls.

regards
--marty
dsch
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by rock_eleven)
any calculation is neccessarily innaccurate because its based on huge averages of populations. Theyre fine to get a rough idea, but someone may literally have to eat twice as much as another of equal weight, to gain weight. Same with weight-loss, its going to vary between people dramatically. Just use any calculation result as a guide and alter it according to what happens at that calorie intake
I was referring to the calculation given, look at the way it's set out.
Lucyvet2006
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Its true the website must just assume everyone is a real IDIOT at maths!
rock_eleven
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
sorry I dont know why I quoted you, I probably didnt mean to. My post wasnt referring to yours, just that in general, rmr calculations are always going to innaccurate.
hugsnkisses
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Its a combination of weights and cardio that is needed do 15mins cardio ie running followed by ur weights
bedbug
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Is 15 mins cardio really enough?
Bis
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
No.

And yes to the question at hand, but only in combination with other things.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (404)
37.72%
No - but I will (82)
7.66%
No - I don't want to (75)
7%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (510)
47.62%

Watched Threads