Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to tell you best mate you don't have the same feeings? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hii,

Right here's the situation. I'm in a fairly healthy relationship at the moment with my boyfriend of 5 months. However, there's a boy at work who has recently admitted feelings for me. He's been one of my closest friends for about a year and one night he'd had a bit too much to drink and phoned me admitting his feelings for me. I didn't exactly take it too well but we still remained friends. Now it's just really awkward whenever we see or speak to each other but I don't want to lose the friendship completely. How to I tell him in the nicest possible way that I don't have the same feelings?

Thankyou!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does he know you're in a relationship currently? If so, tell him that you appreciate his feelings but you can't see anything happening in the future as you're currently in a relationship.
    (Poor guy...in love with someone in a relationship, but remember your feelings > his feelings)

ReputationRep:
    Has he not got the message already?

ReputationRep:
    I would explain to him that you want to be his friend - nothing else. You need to be frank with him, otherwise he may feel as though he will still have a chance at a relationship with you. If he isn't happy with this and can't accept being just friends, then perhaps he ain't worth being a friend. He may probably be really embarrassed, but both of you may just have a laugh about it later. We all do silly things when we're drunk, maybe he just had one too many?!

I would just have a chat with him and let him know how you feel...he should respect the fact that you are in a relationship, and hopefully you can both move on - one way or another!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.