Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am re-sitting this exam and I was wondering if anybody has an incline as to what the topics in the exam will be? It would make my revision a lot easier as I will be able to target specific areas. Thankyouuu

ReputationRep:
    My teacher has a pretty good record with predicting topics, for EGL its:
    Stop and Search
    Barristers
    Sentencing
    Detention
    Bail

Can only remember these from the top of my head.

For anyone else interested, she has predicted the following for the Source of Law exam:
    -Delegated legislation with either Legislation (Likely), on its own or Law reform (unlikely).

She successfully predicted January exam topics and the May/June ones last year.

I suggest still going over other topics just in case, with these predictions, if you stick to revising the above topics, no reason why you can't achieve an A.

Again, for anyone who wants to be pessimistic, I must state that these are only predictions and you take them into consideration however you see fit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lil_Jatt)
    Stop and Search
    Barristers
    Sentencing
    Detention
    Bail

For anyone else interested, she has predicted the following for the Source of Law exam:
    -Delegated legislation with either Legislation (Likely), on its own or Law reform (unlikely).

I suggest still going over other topics just in case, with these predictions, if you stick to revising the above topics, no reason why you can't achieve an A.

Again, for anyone who wants to be pessimistic, I must state that these are only predictions and you take them into consideration however you see fit.
    The aims of sentencing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by random1234567)
    The aims of sentencing?
    Sorry, should have been more clear. Yep the aims of sentencing and the general purpose and effect of sentencing, which is basically which sentences satisfy which aims.

I've also been told to steer clear of civil courts as generally its not a topic which people get good marks on. As ADR came up in January, it is unlikely to come up.

Apparently stop and search along with sentencing are almost givens, if you give yourself a good basis to start off with those two, then you have some insurance for other two questions you answer. Just go over them regularly and refresh yourself when need be.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, should have been more clear. Yep the aims of sentencing and the general purpose and effect of sentencing, which is basically which sentences satisfy which aims.

I've also been told to steer clear of civil courts as generally its not a topic which people get good marks on. As ADR came up in January, it is unlikely to come up.

Apparently stop and search along with sentencing are almost givens, if you give yourself a good basis to start off with those two, then you have some insurance for other two questions you answer. Just go over them regularly and refresh yourself when need be.
    ahh ok thanks do you know what came up in January for sentencing?
    I think magistrates may come up

ReputationRep:
    Sentencing was a part B in January, it was " Describe the different custodial and community sentences for adults" and then deciding a sentence for a person and the aims of it

Magistrates will most likely come up in May, I hope

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rebecca 94)
    Sentencing was a part B in January, it was " Describe the different custodial and community sentences for adults" and then deciding a sentence for a person and the aims of it

Magistrates will most likely come up in May, I hope
    I hope so too and thanks what`s you`re predictions for this paper and what topics have you been focusing on?

ReputationRep:
    My teacher has guessed every year what topics will come up on this exam and each year he's got it right, for this exam he has guessed that:
    • Police powers - stop and search, detention
    • Bail - criminal appeals
    • Civil tracking system
    • Magistrates
    • Youth offenders

Of course don't just revise these topics just incase they aren't the ones that come up on the exam, but these are the topics I will be mainly focusing my revision on.

ReputationRep:
    So far i've revised magistrates, juries, legal profession, but reckon i'll do stop and search, all of the penal system and skim through bail

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rebecca 94)
    So far i've revised magistrates, juries, legal profession, but reckon i'll do stop and search, all of the penal system and skim through bail
    Police powers, penal system and bail is a pretty good bet, along with magistrates and the legal profession

ReputationRep:
    Hi does anyone know if magistrates came up in the January 2013 exam and what questions? And for juries also plsssssss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by umayzahra)
    Hi does anyone know if magistrates came up in the January 2013 exam and what questions? And for juries also plsssssss
    Magistrates didn't come up in January, Juries did - they asked explain question on their selection and discuss question on secrecy.

I've focused my revision on: Bail, S&S, Detention, Crim Appeals, Bar/Solicitors, Young Offenders Sentencing and Magistrates. From a tally I made juries HAS come up twice in a row before, but I'm confident there will be S&S and YOs for defo. Good luck guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSGMatt)
    Magistrates didn't come up in January, Juries did - they asked explain question on their selection and discuss question on secrecy.

I've focused my revision on: Bail, S&S, Detention, Crim Appeals, Bar/Solicitors, Young Offenders Sentencing and Magistrates. From a tally I made juries HAS come up twice in a row before, but I'm confident there will be S&S and YOs for defo. Good luck guys
    I really hope magistrates(selection), sentencing, police powers and bail comes up

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much btw barristers work came up I'm January so you could be a little relaxed on that but still it's good to know because you never know with OCR! Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Took G152 SOL last year and the paper was what your teacher said and Judicial precedent. I think they'd mix it up a little more than that

ReputationRep:
    Stop and Search
    Barristers
    Sentencing
    Detention
    Bail

may i know what does egl stand for???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mjshadowdido)
    may i know what does egl stand for???
    english legal system I'm guessing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArsenalWenger)
    english legal system I'm guessing
    isnt english legal system. els??

ReputationRep:
    The topics he/she listed are for the english legal system exam...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.