The Student Room Group

Law at uni?

sssssss
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
You're doing a lot by the sounds of things.
Work experience is good, especially if it relevant to your future career.
In your personal statement you need to also make yourself out to be a well rounded hard working person.
Extra curricular activities will do this!
Good luck and just write a killer personal statement
Original post by Bubblyminty
I am applying to study Law at university in a few months and I know that this is a tough course to get in to- especially for universities down south in England.

I am wondering what other activities I could do to put on my personal statement to demonstrate my keen interest and show my skills. I have done some work experience at the Crown Office and shadowed some lawyers. I have a couple of more placements at various law firms which should be interesting. I am also doing further reading on the subject and entering a couple of essay competitions.

There is no mooting or debating opportunities in my area so I am quite gutted about that. I have also been looking for volunteering work but have not had much luck.

What else should I do?

Thank you for the help ^.^!

Your experience is fine, you just need to demonstrate a holistic dedication to the law, which you've done. The more the merrier, but you should put your academic achievements ahead of everything else.
Reply 3
Hey,

Have you already applied? Or are you looking to apply?
Honestly you wont have much space on your PS, so I think the things you have done is more than enough.

Also I would like to recommend the Personal Statement Review. At the top go to Personal Statements > Help Service.
I am one of the reviewers and would be happy to give you a more detailed insight once I have read a draft.

Mention the past experience, then near the bottom mention that you are utilising the summer with more experience.
Further reading is also relevant as long as it is something new and not a cliche or typical read.

Good Luck
Reply 4
Everything can in someway be linked to show your 'passion' for law. Voluntary work is always good, I even did a first aid certificate and the Unis seemed to like that from me? Any hobbies or talents such as music, or if your in a band. Show as much diversity as possible.
Original post by Eternal*
Hey,

Honestly you wont have much space on your PS, so I think the things you have done is more than enough.

Also I would like to recommend the Personal Statement Review. At the top go to Personal Statements > Help Service.
I am one of the reviewers and would be happy to give you a more detailed insight once I have read a draft.

Mention the past experience, then near the bottom mention that you are utilising the summer with more experience.
Further reading is also relevant as long as it is something new and not a cliche or typical read.

Good Luck

My application will need to be in by October because I am considering Oxford- not sure if I will stand a chance though. For the past few years, all the people that have applied to Oxbridge have failed at their interview stage :s-smilie:.

I am in my planning stages of my first draft as I do not want my PS to be a mad rush like it usually is with everyone else. I will start writing it fully after I have my exam results and essay results etc. And if you could read it that would be great :smile:.

Yeah and I have been looking for some less generic texts which should make my PS look a bit more different amongst the thousands!
Original post by Eternal*
Hey,

Good Luck

I think you copied my avatar

That's all I have to say :smile:

*old avatar

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending