Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The best foundation for extremely oily/combination skin? watch

ReputationRep:
    I have extremely oily skin with flaky patches on my cheeks. I recently tried No7's Beautifully Matte foundation in Calico (a kind of neutral beige colour) and even though the colour is brilliant it doesn't last very long and it clings to the dry patches. I currently use Revlon Colorstay in Buff which has amazing staying power but the colour is a bit too yellowy. I tried Ivory as well but that's too pale.

Any advice from those with a similar skin type would be awesome

ReputationRep:
    Bump?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow.panda)
    I have extremely oily skin with flaky patches on my cheeks. I recently tried No7's Beautifully Matte foundation in Calico (a kind of neutral beige colour) and even though the colour is brilliant it doesn't last very long and it clings to the dry patches. I currently use Revlon Colorstay in Buff which has amazing staying power but the colour is a bit too yellowy. I tried Ivory as well but that's too pale.

Any advice from those with a similar skin type would be awesome
    From your description, your skin sounds very similar to mine. I've spent aaaages trying to find good skin and foundation routines, so I'll share what I've come up with!

Firstly, you need to do something to try and combat the oiliness and flaky patches. What's so annoying about having combo skin is that it takes ages to find products with the right balance - creams to get rid of flaky patches tend to have a lot of oil in them, which cause more breakouts, but the treatments used for breakouts often dry out the skin, creating more dry patches.... Aghr! Vicious circle.

Skin routine

- Cleansing and thoroughly removing makeup is vital for skin which is oily, as you need to remove anything that could be blocking the pores. However, make sure you use a gentle cleanser and makeup remover, as otherwise you can irritate the dry patches. I like Boots cucumber makeup wipes, and The Body Shop Seaweed Cleanser. The perfect moisturiser is 15% Doublebase Gel - use a thin later and let it absorb overnight. It doesn't cause breakouts, and it really helps to get rid of flakiness and smooth the skin really effectively.

- Products with tea tree, seaweed, will help to reduce oiliness. The Body Shop have ranges with both of these, but you should be able to find them at most beauty counters. Holland & Barrett do a tea-tree oil which works wonders on oily skin, use it to wash and cleanse your face, and as a spot treatment.

- Once or twice a week, use a facemask which will combat oiliness. LUSH do a few really good ones, the blueberry FRESH face mask is great to use in the morning if you're having a particularly troublesome skin day.

- Try to wear makeup as little as possible - if you're having a lazy day at home, avoid wearing it, and take it off when you get home if you're not going out again. Oily skin really benefits from being unclogged and allowed to breathe as much as possible.

Applying makeup:

- Before putting on your skin makeup, gently exfoliate the skin to remove any bits of flaky skin (Body Shop Seaweed range is good for this too) and use a makeup wipe to clean the face of any product that may still be on there.

- If you are having a good skin day, then you should be able to quickly apply primer and then foundation straight away.

- If, however, you're having a bad skin day with flaky patches, then apply a SMALL bit of moisturiser to the face. Products I like: Garnier Moisture Match, Oil of Olay day cream, Vaseline Intensive Moisture. Let it soak in for a good 10 minutes.

- Then, apply a light primer - Benefit Porefessional is the best in my opinion, a tad pricey but worth it. Apply over the flaky dry parts, smoothing it downwards gently. Primer helps oily skin by reducing shine and the appearance of pores, but it's also hugely helpful to dry skin. This is because it sits on top of the skin, so foundation sticks to it, instead of clinging to the dry patches. So foundation looks a lot smoother.

- Apply foundation over the top (again, working it downwards in the same motion as you apply the primer, to smooth the skin down). I use The Body Shop, I think it's the Moisture Foundation. It's lightweight and easy to blend. When my skin is clear - not dry or oily - I use the Mineral Foundation, which works really well. (Also, if you ever have a bad spot, cover it with a few dabs of Mineral Foundation. Literally a miracle-worker. FAR better than any concealer!)

- Then, take a large, soft foundation brush and sweep some powder over your face (Rimmel Stay Matte in 01 is fab). This will help your foundation to stay in place, reduce the shine of any oiliness, and also help to smooth down any flaky patches.

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    I had exactly this problem when I was younger as I've not only got really oily skin but also acne and I'm very pale - so make up was a bit of a nightmare for me!

The one foundation I have found that ticks every single one of my boxes is MAC 'studio ready' powder foundation, as it has amazing coverage and acts as a power at the same time as being a foundation so the oily look is reduced. I personally like to top up around the oily patches (mainly nose) probably once in the day after applying in the morning, but other than that it does the job! It's quite expensive but they honestly last for ages, even for someone like myself who tends to wear a lot of it. MAC are really good because you can go to a counter and they'll do a free colour test on your face (bit embarrassing having them take off all your makeup mid-store, but hey!) and they have so many that you have literally no choice but to come out of there with your perfect match!!

Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you want long-lasting full coverage then Revlon Colorstay is amazing; much better than MAC Studio Fix imo (which it is a 'dupe' of) and much cheaper. Just make sure to really moisturise any dry patches beforehand and use a good primer.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.