Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster

Basically, I withdrew from my university last month after starting last Sept. However, I noticed today that I've been paid this term's instalment of my maintenance loan. I didn't qualify for anything more than the minimum amount so it equates to about £1200. After a long time on hold to Student Finance and advisor said that SFE hadn't received any paperwork from my former uni to tell them that I'd withdrawn so as far as they're concerned I'm still technically a full-time student.

Apparently I need to speak to my uni tomorrow, then they need to notify SFE, then SFE need to 'reasses my application', then they'll write to me etc etc... The advisor I spoke to wasn't able to confirm at this stage whether or not I needed to pay the £1200 back immediately or whether or not it I could repay it with the rest of my debt once (if ) I'm earning over £21k etc.

Just wondering if anyone else had experienced being paid maintenance loan instalments after withdrawing from uni, and whether or not you had to pay the money back immediately? I'm certainly not going to spend the money until I hear back from them, but being unemployed at the moment and searching for apprenticeships, with my car in bits and the companies I'm applying to all in the region of 30+ miles away, the money would certainly come in handy...

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm also in the same situation, I withdrew from my university in March after starting in September last year. I have also been paid the last installment of the loans. I rang up SFE to confirm with them about my withdrawal on the date I withdrew, Ive received my letter of withdrawal last week. As far as im concerned i will definatley not spend the money until the matters are cleared up with SFE (which will mean being on hold for ages & ages again) --".

ReputationRep:
    Same situation as mine then, I spoke to an advisor at my former uni today though and he said it could be several weeks before I hear back from SFE about whether or not they wanted the money back...

ReputationRep:
    I wish i can speak to an adviser at university but I can't because I studied at a partnering college so much hassle :l

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've just been on the phone to SFE and my former Uni it seems that the University has yet to contact SFE that I have withdrawn so the reassessment of the loans will not be calculated till a months time but they have advised that I should leave the sum of money in my account till further notice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spridget)
    Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster

Basically, I withdrew from my university last month after starting last Sept. However, I noticed today that I've been paid this term's instalment of my maintenance loan. I didn't qualify for anything more than the minimum amount so it equates to about £1200. After a long time on hold to Student Finance and advisor said that SFE hadn't received any paperwork from my former uni to tell them that I'd withdrawn so as far as they're concerned I'm still technically a full-time student.

Apparently I need to speak to my uni tomorrow, then they need to notify SFE, then SFE need to 'reasses my application', then they'll write to me etc etc... The advisor I spoke to wasn't able to confirm at this stage whether or not I needed to pay the £1200 back immediately or whether or not it I could repay it with the rest of my debt once (if ) I'm earning over £21k etc.

Just wondering if anyone else had experienced being paid maintenance loan instalments after withdrawing from uni, and whether or not you had to pay the money back immediately? I'm certainly not going to spend the money until I hear back from them, but being unemployed at the moment and searching for apprenticeships, with my car in bits and the companies I'm applying to all in the region of 30+ miles away, the money would certainly come in handy...
    You need to notify student finance that you have left uni, it is not something the university does.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, just wondering if you ever got this sorted and what ws the outcome? I'm going through the same thing right now so any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yummum321)
    Hi, just wondering if you ever got this sorted and what ws the outcome? I'm going through the same thing right now so any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.
    It is your responsibility to tell SFE you have withdrawn, you can do this online.

ReputationRep:
    I went through this a few years ago and they just added it into my final student loan. Never had to pay it back , they just plonked it on!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.