Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've heard a couple of people talking about scholarships and wondered how you get one. Could any give me any info???
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    Depends on many factors:
    What subject? (or even what special area within your subject)
    What university / college?
    What kind of fees status and from which country? (home, EU, overseas)
    etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jf2)
    I've heard a couple of people talking about scholarships and wondered how you get one. Could any give me any info???
    thanks
    Several of the ones mentioned by people here are for international students - their country's government (or something) pays for them to come here, which is good for them as otherwise their fees would be extortionate! I'm not so sure about what's available for UK students; there are lots of bursaries around if you pay less than full fees, but as for actual scholarships I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    I am taking Mathematics with Computer Science.(conditional offer from Corpus Christi, Cambridge)
    And i am an oversea student, is there any scholarship for me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tstan85)
    I am taking Mathematics with Computer Science.(conditional offer from Corpus Christi, Cambridge)
    Congratulations in getting into Corpus!! I'll try and find out if there are any specific scholarships available for you. Like all the other Colleges, we have organ and choral scholarships, which you would have had to aplly for already. There are also instrumental scholarships, and I think those auditions are nearer the begininning of term. However, if you're not musical, I'm not sure that there are any specific scholarships for you. There are certainly lots and lots of available bursaries to apply for once your at the college, and because it's a small (and fairly wealthy) College, if you apply for a bursary, then you've got a very good chance of actually getting one.

I hope this helps - I'll post another message if I find out anything more for you.

The easy bit's out of the way now - just make sure you secure those results, and hopefully I'll see you at Corpus next year!
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Don't know about Cambridge but at Oxford individual colleges give out 'Scholarships' and 'Exhibitions' for outstanding academic performance. You basically get a little bit of money and a great deal of honour from your college, but most of the money goes on a fancy gown. So really you just get the honour of prancing around in a different batcape to everyone else, along with pressure from the college to get a 1st.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tstan85)
    I'm an overseas student and have been offered a place for maths at Magdalen (Oxford) along with Oxford Students Scholarship. So basically dont have to pay a thing. Another friend has been offered a place for Law at Merton along wih Waverly Scholarship. There is a third guy who got into Balliol for engineering and we are hoping that he will get a Noon Foundation Scholarship.

However, Cambridge is not half as keen as Oxford in giving intl students scholarships. I suggest you try emailing them and your college and see if they are willing to give you some financial aid. Also, contact your ministry of education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    Don't know about Cambridge but at Oxford individual colleges give out 'Scholarships' and 'Exhibitions' for outstanding academic performance. You basically get a little bit of money and a great deal of honour from your college, but most of the money goes on a fancy gown. So really you just get the honour of prancing around in a different batcape to everyone else, along with pressure from the college to get a 1st.
    Hildabeast, do you mean that one can only get the so-called scholarship after the first year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHilL)
    I'm an overseas student and have been offered a place for maths at Magdalen (Oxford) along with Oxford Students Scholarship. So basically dont have to pay a thing. Another friend has been offered a place for Law at Merton along wih Waverly Scholarship. There is a third guy who got into Balliol for engineering and we are hoping that he will get a Noon Foundation Scholarship.

However, Cambridge is not half as keen as Oxford in giving intl students scholarships. I suggest you try emailing them and your college and see if they are willing to give you some financial aid. Also, contact your ministry of education.
    Congratulations, CHilL! May I ask how you got the Oxford Student Scholarship? Well, maybe it's too late for me to ask this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chinesegirl)
    Hildabeast, do you mean that one can only get the so-called scholarship after the first year?
    Yeah Scholarships and Exhibitions are awarded after you sit your exams in the first year (usually). I think it's a bit confusing as scholarship usually means a financial award a bit like a bursary. Scholarship/exhibition sense of the word is best thought of as a prize for good performance in exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chinesegirl)
    Congratulations, CHilL! May I ask how you got the Oxford Student Scholarship? Well, maybe it's too late for me to ask this.
    Well, I filled in the application form and sent the required assignments etc. For Waverly you need to do no such thing, just insist your college to nominate you for it. But yeah, its a bit too late now for all that. There are still some scholarships open but that would depend on the country you are living in etc.

GOOD LUCK!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 23, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.