Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What would 39/50 be in UMS in an AQA Physics ISA?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwre)
    In 2012, that would have been a C and it wold have given you 40 UMS. Although, it is only one mark off a B. You can use this to compare it to other years if you want:

http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administ...t-marks-to-ums

You won't find out what it actually is until results day in august.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely at least an A. The boundaries change each year, but I'd say probably A*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brittanna)
    In 2012, that would have been a C. You can use this to compare it to other years if you want:

You won't find out what it actually is until results day in august.
    Those boundaries are for an older specification. The boundaries for the current specification are different. The mark of 39, based on the January 2013 grade boundaries for the current spec, is 90 UMS (A*).

ReputationRep:
    A C??? That can't be right, which option did you pick?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwre)
    It would most probably be a C again this year. Probably a high C so give it 40 UMS (was last year).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, out of interest how do you know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwre)
    A C??? That can't be right, which option did you pick?
    I don't do AQA physics, I do edexcel but for AQA, 39 was a C on Physics A and Physics B for AS and A2. An A usually varies between 42 and 43.

ReputationRep:
    And I'm 100% sure its not a C... This is the new spec we're talking about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwre)
    Thanks, out of interest how do you know?
    If you look on this link:

You can find out which mark converts to which UMS and also what the grade boundaries were for each exam. If you look under 2012, the grade boundaries are likely to be similar to those.

ReputationRep:
    Hazwaz???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hazwaz7)
    Those boundaries are for an older specification. The boundaries for the current specification are different. The mark of 39, based on the January 2013 grade boundaries for the current spec, is 90 UMS (A*).
    They don't have ISA grade boundaries in January only june. You may be thinking of another exam. Also, ISA's are only out of 60 UMS.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but 39 definitely isn't a C, because I know that 100 UMS for Biology and Chemistry was estimated to be 45/50

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwre)
    Yes but 39 definitely isn't a C, because I know that 100 UMS for Biology and Chemistry was estimated to be 45/50
    In chemistry, 45/50 is definitely not 100%. I do chemistry on AQA and if you're lucky, 45/50 will be an A. Biology is a bit lower, but that's because there are fewer marks for practicals. And looking at the June 2012 boundaries for Biology, the B grade boundary was only 1 mark lower s they are very similar. In Biology, you needed 48/50 for full UMS and for physics, you needed 49/50 for full UMS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwre)
    Is this GCSE or A Level? The boundaries I have been saying are for A Level. If you mean GCSE, then it will likely be different to what I have said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwre)
    Also, if this paper did happen to be more difficult than the June 2012 paper, then it is very possible that the grade boundaries will decrease.

ReputationRep:
    GCSE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hazwaz7)
    Definitely at least an A. The boundaries change each year, but I'd say probably A*
    you do realise that ISAs have notoriously high grade boundaries?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwre)
    GCSE
    Ah sorry, I was saying it for A levels . I will just check for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwre)
    GCSE
    If it is out of 40, then I think it would be 100 UMS. If it is out of 50, then it is a different exam that I can't find.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.