Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just started my application today and wanted to fill out my dad's income details. When he tried to make an account we got this message:

"There is a problem with your registration details
    You may already exist as customer with student finance.

Select continue and take the link I have forgotten my Customer Reference Number"

He clearly doesn't have an account, we are baffled Please help!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tackla)
    I just started my application today and wanted to fill out my dad's income details. When he tried to make an account we got this message:

Select continue and take the link I have forgotten my Customer Reference Number"

Did he go to university himself? If so, he'll have an account.
    Call SFE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knalchemist)
    Did he go to university himself? If so, he'll have an account.
    Call SFE.
    He didn't go to an university. I guess I will have to call SFE like you said. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    He didn't go to an university. I guess I will have to call SFE like you said. Thanks.
    If you have a sibling that went to university, or if your mum went to university then he would also have one. But yeah just give them a call. It might be because he has a similar name and dob as someone else.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer

I've had exactly the same problem. Dad got student finance years ago (1980s/ early 1990s I think), before they had the online system and before he even had an email address. Basically, when they created the computer based system (previously it was all done on paper!) they had to input the details of everyone who had previously had student finance so they could not claim it again. They entered his name etc. but left the boxes blank for the email/ those silly 'what was your favourite teacher's name?' security questions blank, because there was originally no requirement to fill them in and they didn't have the information. Then at some point they updated the database system to require those boxes to be filled in, so when he tried to request his number + password online it wouldn't accept his details because the computer first checks that you have entered something in the box and then checks whether this matches the information in the database. We phoned up student finance and they were incredibly useless - they couldn't give us the details over the phone because Dad couldn't answer any of the (non-existent) security questions, so they told us to fill in a paper version of the form and post it to them. However, this paper version also requires the number and password that he doesn't have! We need to ring them up again to try to sort it out...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonkeeper999)
    I've had exactly the same problem. Dad got student finance years ago (1980s/ early 1990s I think), before they had the online system and before he even had an email address. Basically, when they created the computer based system (previously it was all done on paper!) they had to input the details of everyone who had previously had student finance so they could not claim it again. They entered his name etc. but left the boxes blank for the email/ those silly 'what was your favourite teacher's name?' security questions blank, because there was originally no requirement to fill them in and they didn't have the information. Then at some point they updated the database system to require those boxes to be filled in, so when he tried to request his number + password online it wouldn't accept his details because the computer first checks that you have entered something in the box and then checks whether this matches the information in the database. We phoned up student finance and they were incredibly useless - they couldn't give us the details over the phone because Dad couldn't answer any of the (non-existent) security questions, so they told us to fill in a paper version of the form and post it to them. However, this paper version also requires the number and password that he doesn't have! We need to ring them up again to try to sort it out...
    Ah, you are in a tricky situation. What I don't understand is no one from my family has ever gone to uni before, so it doesn't make sense for me. If the message doesn't go away, I will just fill out a paper form and send it. Hope you get yours sorted too
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Ah, you are in a tricky situation. What I don't understand is no one from my family has ever gone to uni before, so it doesn't make sense for me. If the message doesn't go away, I will just fill out a paper form and send it. Hope you get yours sorted too
    That does sound odd... Did they do any other kind of higher education (HND/ HNC etc.)?
    Paper form won't work btw. They still need the same information as before.

ReputationRep:
    That does sound odd... Did they do any other kind of higher education (HND/ HNC etc.)?
    Paper form won't work btw. They still need the same information as before.
    No, they didn't do any higher education.

I had a look in the paper form application, there are spaces for both mother and father details and their income details to be filled in. It's just that online one won't even let me fill in the details.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    No, they didn't do any higher education.

I had a look in the paper form application, there are spaces for both mother and father details and their income details to be filled in. It's just that online one won't even let me fill in the details.
    Hmmm...
    The paper form still requires their customer reference numbers though, I think, which is where I'm stuck. Would the online one let you create their accounts at all, or did it just keep insisting you already had one?

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm...
    The paper form still requires their customer reference numbers though, I think, which is where I'm stuck. Would the online one let you create their accounts at all, or did it just keep insisting you already had one?
    Paper form requires CRN?

And yeah, I tried to create one for them so many times and it just insisted they already have one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Paper form requires CRN?

And yeah, I tried to create one for them so many times and it just insisted they already have one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm pretty sure it did anyway, or there was something else we couldn't fill in...
    The system's really annoying, why can't they just let you add his national insurance number and details through my application rather than having to create a separate account!

ReputationRep:

Your dad is secretly financing a child from another relationship through university

ReputationRep:
    Guys, I put my hand up. I have been an idiot. My parents do have an account, created by my sister. Problem was that my sister doesn't go uni, she goes to some college and she didn't take a loan either. It was weird. Anyway, thanks for helping me, I feel like a fool :banghead:

ReputationRep:
    the strangest thing happened today, I went to student finance ni to register myself, and there is an account there already with my name and date of birth associated with my email account, and I don't know the password Cuz I never made one, so I try to change it but they won't let me do that either as they haven't sent me the temporary password and secret answer in mail which they claim to have. So I try phoning them and they say their branches are all closed, so I hv to wait till the morning to find out

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.