Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just realised that it is exactly a month today until the Higher Biology exam! My class haven't even finished the course yet!!

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha, have you finished the course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lydofateapot)
    Hahaha, have you finished the course?
    literally finished it today and I still can't get above a D in the past papers :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Aw, we are supposed to finish this week. I'm sure if you keep at the past papers you will get better though.

ReputationRep:
    Don't even remind me... It's so crazy.
    I'm getting B/A's in the past papers (excluding the essay questions) so it's not actually too bad.
    But Section C is a nightmare, any predictions on what could come up this year?

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same! I hate section C, you just have to write so much and a lot of detail and there are so many different things that the questions could be on. I did Int 2 last year and the essays were only 5 marks which was fine but this year it is so much harder and 20 marks seems like quite a lot of the overall percentage.
    I'm hoping that more unit 1 and 2 stuff will come up because we really took our time going over that so I understand it all but for unit 3 we've just been rushing through it to try and get the course finished and I haven't really picked up anything!

ReputationRep:
    I haven't finished the course. We still have 2 books to cover, he says we will finish the course by the end of next week. So on the last week before study leave it is nab and prelim

How can everyone hate the essay questions? I love them. I find them so easy to pick up marks. I got 19/20 in my prelim which brought my mark up a bit!

Biology is one of my better subjects, I love that photosynthesis/respiration/protein synthesis always comes up :~)

For section C I'm hoping for photosynthesis/respiration/cell membrane and like diffusion, active transport, osmosis. For unit 2 I'm hoping for mutations and mutagenic agents, the transpiration stream, genetic engineering that sort of thing

ReputationRep:
    Respiration came up last year in section C if I can remember right, so I don't think it will this year

In my prelim I've got 2/10 for the protein synthesis notes and 10/10 for the gene mutation essay. But the teacher told us that the mutations were coming up, so it wasn't a surprise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nessie162)
    Respiration came up last year in section C if I can remember right, so I don't think it will this year

In my prelim I've got 2/10 for the protein synthesis notes and 10/10 for the gene mutation essay. But the teacher told us that the mutations were coming up, so it wasn't a surprise
    And damn, well at least there will be respiration in section a/b

My questions were on accessory pigments/light dependent stage and genetic engineering/somatic fusion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CSM1996)
    And damn, well at least there will be respiration in section a/b

My questions were on accessory pigments/light dependent stage and genetic engineering/somatic fusion
    I had the same essay questions as you! I did quite well on them but our teacher hinted at what was coming up haha

ReputationRep:
    I had the same essay questions as you! I did quite well on them but our teacher hinted at what was coming up haha
    The only thing my teacher said about my prelim:

"I'll give you one answer for your prelim. D" That's all I got

ReputationRep:
    Got an A in the prelim and I feel like I know the KU very well, not really bothered doing the essays yet but i'll probably write them up and rote learn them closer to the time! Hoping nothing out the ordinary comes up, hate transpiration if it comes up asking anything but factors affecting it. basically the entire 2005 paper

ReputationRep:
    It's pointless just doing Past Papers and expecting your grade to improve; you have to actually understand and learn the material inside-out.

ReputationRep:
    The only thing my teacher said about my prelim:

"I'll give you one answer for your prelim. D" That's all I got
    Hahaha, that's a good one! Last year at Int 2 I asked my teacher what was going to be about and he said 'Okay, I will tell you. Get out your jotter and write this down... It's either from unit one or unit 2.' So basically everything that we had done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackoGeddes)
    Got an A in the prelim and I feel like I know the KU very well, not really bothered doing the essays yet but i'll probably write them up and rote learn them closer to the time! Hoping nothing out the ordinary comes up, hate transpiration if it comes up asking anything but factors affecting it. basically the entire 2005 paper
    I got an A in the prelim too. I don't really like transpiration stream either though but thankfully that wasn't in our prelim. I have the second prelim next week though so it will probably be in that.

ReputationRep:
    I got an A in the prelim too. I don't really like transpiration stream either though but thankfully that wasn't in our prelim. I have the second prelim next week though so it will probably be in that.
    i have my second prelim on monday too

i'm feeling pretty good, what are you guys doing to study? i've just been constantly doing 2002-2012 past papers and using my textbook from time to time.

i'm at the point where I get usually full marks in multiple choice, the only struggle seems to be knowing what the marking instruction is actually looking for in broader questions and 2 markers in the section B

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackoGeddes)
    i have my second prelim on monday too

i'm feeling pretty good, what are you guys doing to study? i've just been constantly doing 2002-2012 past papers and using my textbook from time to time.

i'm at the point where I get usually full marks in multiple choice, the only struggle seems to be knowing what the marking instruction is actually looking for in broader questions and 2 markers in the section B
    Yeah, I'm really just going through the past papers too. It's good for learning exactly what they expect you to say on the 2/3 mark explanation questions. I haven't really been doing any essay questions yet but my teacher says there is only going to be one in our prelim and it will be on unit 3 so I will just go through the past papers and see what types of essay questions come up for unit 3.
    I'm not actually too worried about biology though, it's English I'm freaking out about!

It's just scary that the exams are so close now! I still feel like I have only just started 5th year.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm really just going through the past papers too. It's good for learning exactly what they expect you to say on the 2/3 mark explanation questions. I haven't really been doing any essay questions yet but my teacher says there is only going to be one in our prelim and it will be on unit 3 so I will just go through the past papers and see what types of essay questions come up for unit 3.
    I'm not actually too worried about biology though, it's English I'm freaking out about!

It's just scary that the exams are so close now! I still feel like I have only just started 5th year.
    Yep that's what my plan is too, sometimes i know what the answer is but just can't get it into words or overcomplicate it compared to what the key is looking for so i feel papers are helping I also haven't looked at essay questions, planned on just rote learning them later on?

lucky for you, this is my last chance in 6th year to get the grades for uni! got 2 a's last year without much work, studied the night before biology and got a c changing attitude this year has seen such an improvement, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha, that's a good one! Last year at Int 2 I asked my teacher what was going to be about and he said 'Okay, I will tell you. Get out your jotter and write this down... It's either from unit one or unit 2.' So basically everything that we had done.
    The sad thing was, a girl in my class actually wrote down the letter D and caught on like 5 seconds later than everyone else!

Awk biology teachers are sneaky ones

And how can everyone hate the transpiration stream? It is like the easiest thing in unit 2!!

ReputationRep:
    The sad thing was, a girl in my class actually wrote down the letter D and caught on like 5 seconds later than everyone else!

Awk biology teachers are sneaky ones

And how can everyone hate the transpiration stream? It is like the easiest thing in unit 2!!
    what do you know about it? share the knowledge

water moves in via osmosis
    adhesion between water and xylem walls, water pulled up
    cohesion like particles causes water to be pulled up as the water at the top is evaporated
    it's needed to provide water to area of photosynthis/photolysis

am i close?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.