Getting rid of a cold... fast! Watch

abc137
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
OK so i have a cold and i was wondering if anyone has any advice/tips on how to get better really soon as i have an exam on Thursday and it's so important to me i really want to do well in it!!!! I can't emphasise enough how much i have to do well as everyone keeps putting pressure on me and i just really want to do well in it anyway!

On Sunday evening after work i started getting a really sore throat so took ibuprofen as often as it said on the box, i woke up at about 3am with more cold symptoms so took some more and went back to sleep. Yesterday i went to school, and carried on taking the tablets, and when i got home i was on lemsips. I have been using vapour rub which seemed to help a lot especially during the night last night, and have been having lemsips today but i really need to get better! My throat isn't as painful as it was yesterday but i still have all the other cold symptoms.... like sniffles, coughs, headaches and sneezes etc! I just generally feel really crappy!

Anyone got any suggestions as to what else i can try? Please help!!
by-torslayshisfoe
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Rest?!

Take some vitamins and drink a flu/cold rememdy like Lemsip. Colds only last for a few days to a week, so it's not all bad!
starya
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Eat oranges/mandarins/anything with vitamin C. It might be just a placebo effect but it works for me.
littlemissalex
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I got a cold last monday and ive still not gotten rid of it unfortunately, and have an exam tomorrow. I went to a homeopathic doctor and he's prescribed some pills for me. But its subsided during the week, so i would suggest rest and maybe go to a doctor..
Champagne-Dahling
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Zinc apparently halves the duration of a cold. Knock back some of it in pill/tablet form.
devilgirl999
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
just keep drinking as much water and orange juice as poss,

also try filling a bowl with hot water put 2 drops of eucalypsus oil into it and put your head over it with a towel over the top of your head.

also gargle salt water, 1 half teaspoon of salt in a cup or glass of warm water gargle and repeat.

take zinc tablets, vit C tablets, and make sure you have plenty of rest.
devilgirl999
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
oh yeah and also sip lots of hot honey lemonade (boil some lemonade with 2 tablespoons of honey in it, with a slice of lemon) its good for sore throats and colds
tinkerbellejess
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I have glandular fever for the 2nd time in about 6months!! Try having that for this exams on thurs!! (mines psychology retake) lol
bedbug
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Litres of orange juice. Overdose on Vitamin C
alio~
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Drink and eat lots of vitamin C (though not too much) I find pure orange gets rid of the cold earlier.
starya
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by alio~)
Drink and eat lots of vitamin C (though not too much) I find pure orange gets rid of the cold earlier.
Why not too much vitamin C? You can't exactly overdose on it.. or if you happen to, it won't do any major damage.
jehuteh
Report 12 years ago
Ive just recovered from a cold 2-3 days ago, i had it for 2 days in total, somehow after my stepmum put my feet in really really hot water for an hour, i started sweatin which lowered my temperature. I then ate alot for dinner, went to sleep early at 9pm. Couldn't sleep from 3 onwards, woke my stepmum again. using a hot water bottle and 2 layers of quilts she made me just lie their and sweat with my entire body under thick quilts. erm i then drank alot of water...somehow by 9am i felt much better. Stepmum went out to buy some 'benylin day and night tablets' took them for 1 day and im back to my stats revision! totally recovered!
abc137
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Thanks for the help everyone! I got better but now i've got a cold again :eek:!
graveyarddreams
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm in the same situation, i caught a cold three days ago, and had very bad symptoms, it really got in the way of the revising, my exams are next monday to wednesday, so i hope it gets better by then. Just rest, and drink plenty of water, and take those drinks like lemsip etc. Hope it gets better.
Monkey_Maiden
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I developed a cold last tuesday and I needed to be better by the friday, I just stayed in bed from tue till thursday, drank lots of orange juice, took multivitamins, ate soup and just chilled It cleared up by the weeknd
satyricon
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Garlic is supposed to be very helpful with colds. However, I've never been able to handle just eating raw garlic, so I found some garlic capsules. I've found that they really help - might be worth a try.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (316)
37.4%
No - but I will (66)
7.81%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.34%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (401)
47.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise