The Student Room Group

If you've been on a gap year, how much did it cost?

This would really help me out and give me an idea about how much I can do and how far I can go with however much money I have saved up by next year.

So, where did you go? what did you do? how long for? visas required, if so how much? how much money did you have saved to begin with and around how much money did you spend overall?

Any additional information and advice will be really appreciated. Plus, it's interesting to read all of your adventures! :smile:
Reply 1
Guys I have information on working holiday visas. If anyone would like it I can send to them for free. Just send me a private message.

Cheers

Rich.
Reply 2
Well i think money all depends on how you are with your cash and what you want to do, i planned on a 6 mnth trip to america, NZ, AUS and thailand i payed 1,400 for my ticket incl unlimited changes and saved £3,000 which i was really worried about not being enough after reading many forums...i managed to do everything i wanted in america i travelled..NY, Canada, chicago, san fran, LA, pittsburgh and las vegas...NZ i travelled from north island to south in a camper van...doing many trips along the way not going to lie i did budget my money as best i could...which in turn meant i only had 1mnths money left when i got to Aus... Its here i made the decision to work...best decision ever i stayed the full year in Aus then went onto thailand for 6 weeks before finally going home 17 mnths later. The only two visas i had to get before hand were the one for USA £15 and the australian WHV £220 which allows you to work but stipulates only p to 6 mnths in any one employment.

Quick Reply

Latest