Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hi guys, I'm doing the Edexcel P3 exam soon and I'm stuck on a topic (btw I'm self-teaching) and it's the collisions section.

One of the specification points is:
    "Analyse collisions in one dimension in terms of momentum and kinetic energy"

This has nothing to do with calculations, as that is a separate point on the specification, so can someone explain to me what this actually asks you to do? Analyse in what respect? I'm so confused :confused:

Thanks for the help.
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    What the topic deals with are linear collusions. These may be elastic, with no loss of kinetic energy or non elastic

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's basically looking at two objects colliding... Because it's one dimensional you'll only look at one axis, or direction of motion. So, that could be x,y or z axis. For simplicity, you'll just look at them in terms of "left and right" maybe "up and down".

Examples may include a ball bouncing off a wall, or off the ground. They may also include two bodies of varying mass colliding into each other and you'll have to work out their initial and final momentums.
How are you feeling about your exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.