Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am going to university in the year 2014. I'm at school at the moment in my second last year and I currently have a part time job for just 8 hours a week just working in a shop - on the till, stocking shelfs etc, it is my fist job and nothing too taxing.
    I was wondering if university students can get jobs or if you are not allowed? Or is there too much work and studying to do at university to have time for a job?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi lydofateapot,

You can indeed work whilst at university and it is encouraged, to some extent! Working whilst at university is a great way to subsidise your student finance so that you can enjoy your time without worrying about money. It also looks great on your CV when you finish, as it shows that you are able to manage your time effectively.

One piece of advice is not to work too many hours. 8 - 12 hours per week during your first year is fine, but I wouldn't recommend any more than 6 - 8 during your second or third years. There is a lot of work to do and your studies should take main priority.

Most universities have schemes that employ students, such as student ambassadors and employment agencies, which are great ways to earn some extra money whilst having a really flexible job that works around you.

I hope this helps you!

Stacey

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! This was really helpful! I was also wondering if it is hard to get a job at university? As I'm guessing there will be lots of students there who all want jobs too?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.