Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I really need to get something off my chest, im 17 years old and currently in 6th form. When I was in year 7 I moved to a private school and I stayed there to do my GCSE's I didn't do very well and the guilt of the money they spent on me is crippling me.

I'm a really upbeat person but this really plays on my mind and is really frustrating me I know doing well in my AS levels will be the best way to move forward but i'm emotionally and mentally crippled..

ReputationRep:
    I think you may need to go see your GP and then get councelling

(Original post by beckydood)
    I think you may need to go see your GP and then get councelling

your probably right thanks anyway I guess looking forwards is the best solution

ReputationRep:
    It is indeed, I happen to be a good listener and have gone through a lot of difficult times/situations in my life, as well as working for the No 1. employer in the world (health related) So feel free to private message me if you do want direction, advice and guidance, or simply how to get hold of a councellor.

ReputationRep:
    If I was in your position I would feel the same way. I hate the fact I have to leach of my parents for some things and just feel sorry for them. I can't get a job at the moment (also 17) and I really want to pay my parents back for everything they give me.

ReputationRep:
    Can't change it now. They did it because they love you and I bet they don't even think about it the way you do. There will be a day you can pay your parents back for everything they did but you can't do that without focusing on the now. You are 17 so still technically a child, there is no shame in still being at home/relying on your parents as long as you help them out e.g tidying the house, being respectful, generally helping out. Your parents won't resent the fact they spent money on you, as a parent you expect to be skinted out by your child lol! If they didn't want to do it then they wouldn't have. Don't beat yourself up by the results, not everyone is academic but doesn't mean they aren't intelligent.

ReputationRep:
    My advice would be to talk to your parents about it. Carrying this guilt around is not healthy for you or your relationship with them and being open with them about how you're feeling is the best way for you to move forward.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, tell them.

However, financial decisions they made when you were eleven are not something you can be held accountable for. They cannot pay for you to do well. Sending a child to a private school is always a risk, not a guaranteed investment. Besides, you probably got other things out of it that you don't even recognise - you never know how your life 'would' have turned out.

If you still feel bad, take it as a lesson. It's a cliche, but every mistake you make makes you stronger (apart from paragliding into the side of a mountain).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 17, 2013
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.