Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do i tell me dad to stop buying me gifts Watch

ReputationRep:
    I told him a few months ago that i wasn't sure if i wanted to go to uni or not and since then he's been buying me gifts trying to persuade me to go since he highly values education, he used to be a maths professor at uni but now he's now opened a few businesses

My brother told me that he's thinking of buying me a Range rover and I only just got an Astra last year, how should i tell him to stop buying me things without sounding ungrateful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simon.H.94)
    I told him a few months ago that i wasn't sure if i wanted to go to uni or not and since then he's been buying me gifts trying to persuade me to go since he highly values education, he used to be a maths professor at uni but now he's now opened a few businesses

My brother told me that he's thinking of buying me a Range rover and I only just got an Astra last year, how should i tell him to stop buying me things without sounding ungrateful
    Troll. How does buying you stuff make you want to go into higher education? Sure, if he said "Go to a university and you'll get... *this, that, blah blah*". But spoiling you now would just distract you from your studies.

And you say he was a Maths professor? :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Just say to him: "Father may you please stop buying me gifts". Sorted :yy:

ReputationRep:
    just sit down and talk to him, there probably isn't any other way. also if you don't want the rover im happy to accept the offer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simon.H.94)

Seems legit...

Spoiler:
    Show
    :troll:

ReputationRep:
    #firstworldproblems

Just say, I am grateful for your encouragement, but I cannot accept your gifts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    #firstworldproblems

Just say, I am grateful for your encouragement, but I cannot accept your gifts.

ReputationRep:
    >PhD in Maths
    >any job he wants
    >£300k starting salary

ReputationRep:
    Say ... Stop...

ReputationRep:
    Be so kind to forward them on to me then, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    You can tell him to send the presents to me instead :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Dibs on the car!

In all honesty, just tell him before he spends even more money.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be more worried how he thinks you'll be able to get insured on a Range Rover.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eliza.anne)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Rybee)
    Damn! Beat me to it. :unimpressed:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rybee)
    (Original post by eliza.anne)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oi eliza! Get your own gifts from your own thread!!! :eek:

(Original post by TheReckless)
    Damn! Beat me to it. :unimpressed:
    Yes! I did! Now go scrounge your gifts elsewhere!

ReputationRep:
    Poor effort :troll: 1/10

ReputationRep:
    My dad never bought be a bar of chocolate :unimpressed: Instead, he asked if I could buy him a glass of beer :unimpressed:

Just tell your dad that presents are a waste of money and you appreciate his efforts..

ReputationRep:
    I don't even count this as an effort.

0/10.

ReputationRep:
    Just be like "daddy, please buy my good friend tu_es_jolie_x the range rover instead"

ReputationRep:
    Just tell him you should stop trying to buy you into an education.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.