OCR Latin Verse Literature - how did it go? Watch

arpeggio
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I thought it was surprisingly easy actually! Guess all the learning of the Aeneid finally paid off I got slightly stuck on the questions where it asked you to point out where in the text sound/rhythm/word position was used for emphasis, but on the whole it was OK. What did everyone else think?
southernlight
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I thought it was fine too!

We finally discovered the whole thing with Section A/Section B lol...

I got through it fairly quickly learning all the poems paid off, though the very last qs you had to remember all of the different poems you've done, but it's good its over
Apples124
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I found it quite easy too (but I did the second section - on the short poems, not the Aeneid). I knew all the translations and everything, the only problem was that some of the questions were very vague - it's not that I didn't know the answer, more that I didn't know what the question was expecting as an answer. I didn't know if it wanted answers to include grammatical techniques, or just more literal responses to the text.

Oh well.
Apples124
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by southernlight)
I thought it was fine too!

We finally discovered the whole thing with Section A/Section B lol...

I got through it fairly quickly learning all the poems paid off, though the very last qs you had to remember all of the different poems you've done, but it's good its over

Haha yes. I panicked when I saw the first page, but then realised I was supposed to turn over. I'm a moron haha.

That last question was quite a nice one actually haha. It wasn't worth much, but I wrote a whole page essay-like answer to it haha. Which poems did you include? I used "Otium", "The pleasures of country life" and "Thoughts of home".
MadPotta
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
it went great! i did aeneid book 4 questions, found most of them easy but wasnt completely sure with some of the 5 mark questions. Did we have to write 5 points or just 3 or 4 backed up with quotes? Managed to scrape 5 points on them, but not all were great. Still went well though
southernlight
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Erm last question I used "Good life" and "Pleasures of a Country Life"...

I knew all the translations and everything, the only problem was that some of the questions were very vague - it's not that I didn't know the answer, more that I didn't know what the question was expecting as an answer
yeah I know!! There was one about what two things Narcissus liked (or something) about the spring, and I didn't know whether it wanted you to say because he was tired from his enthusiasm for the hunt and the heat or that he was attracted by the place?? So I put both and gave the two reasons for why he was tired in the tired bit... so it still worked out as two.

But yeh I agree. It was a bit vague in places...
Apples124
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by southernlight)
Erm last question I used "Good life" and "Pleasures of a Country Life"...

yeah I know!! There was one about what two things Narcissus liked (or something) about the spring, and I didn't know whether it wanted you to say because he was tired from his enthusiasm for the hunt and the heat or that he was attracted by the place?? So I put both and gave the two reasons for why he was tired in the tired bit... so it still worked out as two.

But yeh I agree. It was a bit vague in places...
Yea. I did that for that question too.

Another vague one was when it said "How does Ovid describe Echo's transformation from a normal girl into a bodyless voice" or something like that - I didn't know if it wanted the stages, or more grammatical reasons, like how he does it. I don't know. I mainly just put down the stages for that one.

Also, the one about when his writing was particularly clever - WHAT?!? It only gave a choice of 2 lines and none of the stuff in those lines was particularly clever in my opinion =/ It was just regular latin.

MAN I WISH THIS SITE WASN'T SO SLOW TO LOAD! haha
bobbiebuddha
Report 12 years ago
Thankfully, I thought it went ok! I was most worried about latin, but now the unseen and Virgil is out of the way, it is all downhill from here! I hope I did alright. My teacher insisted you had to do more than just learn it off by heart, but I found that worked a treat! Except when it asked me to find a word that emphasises Dido's beauty....wasn't sure what that one was! Well done everyone!
MadPotta
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
ah i got a bit stuck on that question too. In the end i guessed 'decorum' and said it meant 'lovely', which ive now found out was right . There were a couple of questions like that which were a bit confusing though
Katielives
Report 12 years ago
Thought it was fine :-)

Now I'm just a bit worried about Pliny and the second language paper....more to learn, argh!
arpeggio
Rep:
?
(Original post by bobbiebuddha)
Thankfully, I thought it went ok! I was most worried about latin, but now the unseen and Virgil is out of the way, it is all downhill from here! I hope I did alright. My teacher insisted you had to do more than just learn it off by heart, but I found that worked a treat! Except when it asked me to find a word that emphasises Dido's beauty....wasn't sure what that one was! Well done everyone!
I got stuck on that one too - I thought it might be 'golden' (as in 'she tore her golden hair') but I didn't know the Latin word for it, so I put 'decorum' as well I'm so happy it went well! But does anyone else think that all your hard work learning each of the sections has kind of gone to waste since we were only tested on two little bits of it?!! I mean obviously it's good to know all of it off by heart, but still...
person 34
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by xemmajanex)
I got stuck on that one too - I thought it might be 'golden' (as in 'she tore her golden hair') but I didn't know the Latin word for it, so I put 'decorum' as well I'm so happy it went well! But does anyone else think that all your hard work learning each of the sections has kind of gone to waste since we were only tested on two little bits of it?!! I mean obviously it's good to know all of it off by heart, but still...
I put beautiful cos the translation is "beautiful breast", is that totally wrong?
MadPotta
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by xemmajanex)
I know what you mean. some of my friends didnt have a clue what parts of the text meant, but came out of the exam really pleased that theyd got away with it. kind of annoying for me as id got the whole thing learnt off by heart. still at least i wasnt stressing out right before the exam unlike them

interestingly i think you can predict which sections are going to come up in the exam. my teacher told me that it was likely that theyd put in one of the epic similes, which they did with dido as a deer.
arpeggio
Rep:
?
(Original post by MadPotta)
I know what you mean. some of my friends didnt have a clue what parts of the text meant, but came out of the exam really pleased that theyd got away with it. kind of annoying for me as id got the whole thing learnt off by heart. still at least i wasnt stressing out right before the exam unlike them

interestingly i think you can predict which sections are going to come up in the exam. my teacher told me that it was likely that theyd put in one of the epic similes, which they did with dido as a deer.
My teacher said that sections 2 and 4 would come up as well, although she'd got it wrong every other year so it's probably not the best idea to rely on people's predictions... it's weird how you can predict it though. Some people seemed to have looked at text for the first time today, yet still walked out of the exam saying how easy it was... :mad:

I put beautiful cos the translation is "beautiful breast", is that totally wrong?
I can't exactly remember the question, but I think it should be OK if you put the Latin word as well. Different schools seem to have really different translations - my translation is 'she struck her gracious breast'. But if that's what your translation says then don't worry about it.
annamaria
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by person 34)
I don't know what happens to me in examinations but I write such utter crap.

I actually wrote:

"'decorum' because it shows her breast is lovely"

Whoever's marking that is going think I am a complete wierdo
southernlight
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Another vague one was when it said "How does Ovid describe Echo's transformation from a normal girl into a bodyless voice" or something like that - I didn't know if it wanted the stages, or more grammatical reasons, like how he does it. I don't know. I mainly just put down the stages for that one.

Also, the one about when his writing was particularly clever - WHAT?!? It only gave a choice of 2 lines and none of the stuff in those lines was particularly clever in my opinion =/ It was just regular latin.

MAN I WISH THIS SITE WASN'T SO SLOW TO LOAD! haha
I put the stages for that bit as well...

And for the bit where Ovid was clever... I said something about how he repeated words that were similar, which showed echoes/reflections. or something like that

And yeh i know! this site takes ages to load
tomsmee
Report 12 years ago
Also from the same teacher as madpotta great guy! - teacher helped out big time! He predicted 5 sections that could come up and we went through the word choice/rhythm/sounds/rubbish stuff beforehand.

I couldn't have found two better passages myself!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (302)
37.47%
No - but I will (61)
7.57%
No - I don't want to (60)
7.44%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (383)
47.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed