Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can someone give me some advice on the following please...

I have previously been to university. When I was 18 I studied for a BSc, but failed the first year twice. I.e I was there for 2 years, but did not get anything out of it. I have mitigating circumstances for these years.

I am now 25 and returning to higher education and will be studying for a MEng - a 4-year, full-time degree programme.

After speaking with student finance earlier in the year, I was told that everyone is entitled to 4 years funding plus a 'grace year'/'free year' - whatever you wish to call it. They told me that because I have used 1 year funding plus my 'grace year', I am still entitled to 3 years funding, but would need to fund the first year my self (for my 4-year course).

When applying for student finance today, I spoke to a member of staff who said I was only entitled to 2 years funding, and that i'd have to fund 2 years my self. I rang up again and was told the same information. This has obviously put me into panic mode as I may now have to find another £9k.

Is anybody able to give me a definitive answer as to whether I am eligible for 3years or 2years funding?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    You'd be entitled to 3 years as its a 4 year course.

In year 1 you will only get a maintenance loan, no maintenance grant or tuition fee loan.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.