Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Once every few days, I'll discover a new scab on my head, underneath my hair...

I have no idea how I get these cuts. I don't particularly scratch my head so doubt I'm causing them myself. I don't recall hitting my head against things that frequently. I don't think they feel like insect bites. And yet, they keep on appearing.

One patch was feeling a bit sore about half an hour ago, went to rub it ... and lo, a huge scabbed over cut! It's not uncommon for me to break them open whilst brushing my hair.

I just don't understand where they're coming from. Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps you have caught headlice from somewhere, get a nitcomb and check through

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kabloomybuzz)
    Perhaps you have caught headlice from somewhere, get a nitcomb and check through
    No, although that has been one of my thoughts in the past. Got it thoroughly checked, no sign of any louse infection.

It's not generally itchy. The large ones can be sore, but generally I don't realise unless I happen across them somehow...

ReputationRep:
    It might be a skin condition, I get psoriasis-like patches on my scalp which often look like massive scabs. I think a lot of the damage happens when I claw at my own head in my sleep. I use polytar to deal with the scalp - give it a go, although I might warn you it stinks.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    are you sure you're not scratching during the night? a while back i had a really bad dry scalp which was tremendously itchy, and i'd scratch during the night and end up with scabs and blood under my nails in the morning

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurie:))
    are you sure you're not scratching during the night? a while back i had a really bad dry scalp which was tremendously itchy, and i'd scratch during the night and end up with scabs and blood under my nails in the morning
    I could be wrong, but I would have thought that would hurt? It doesn't generally hurt, only very large ones sometimes feel sore...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Flotographer)
    I could be wrong, but I would have thought that would hurt? It doesn't generally hurt, only very large ones sometimes feel sore...
    never really hurt that much for me :shrugs: it just itched and felt uncomfortable

if you're really concerned about it, speak to your gp.

ReputationRep:
    There's a killer on the loose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flotographer)
    Once every few days, I'll discover a new scab on my head, underneath my hair...

I have no idea how I get these cuts. I don't particularly scratch my head so doubt I'm causing them myself. I don't recall hitting my head against things that frequently. I don't think they feel like insect bites. And yet, they keep on appearing.

One patch was feeling a bit sore about half an hour ago, went to rub it ... and lo, a huge scabbed over cut! It's not uncommon for me to break them open whilst brushing my hair.

I just don't understand where they're coming from. Any ideas?
    You could be scratching your scalp in your sleep without realising.

You could be damaging them further by your hair brush by catching them and 'new' scratches appearing in place of the old one.

Try tying your hair up and sleeping in a soft shower cap (silk type one) for a few days to see if it clears up or no new scratches appear.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.