Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So my friend has failed two of her modules due to personal problems and she went to have a talk with the tutor regarding resits,I accompanied her.Anyway, the tutor asked her "don't get me wrong but do you want to fail the course? some students attend uni and want to fail the course , I've even had students tell me this themselves"

This really shocked me, why would any student in their right mind spend money on their education only to want to fail??I just don't get it? Perhaps they want an excuse to get away from their parents.

ReputationRep:
    Could be a lot of things, a student who developed depression wouldn't be 100% in their right mind... Though they wouldn't be 'barking mad' either.

Possibly there could be parental pressure to do a particular course on some students and self-sabotage could be a strategy to get off that course without defying the parents.

Academic tutors often aren't great with this stuff imo. Possibly because they generally enjoyed their time at uni and didn't have a lot of these problems.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to fail my course although I don't enjoy it so will probably fail anyway by not getting motivated enough for it I think :erm:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.