Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When you look in the mirror... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Apparently, when you stare at yourself in the mirror, you see someone who is five times more good looking than what other people see.

how do you feel?

ReputationRep:
    I heard this is the official motto of insecure and anorexic people.

ReputationRep:
    How do I feel, you ask? :cool:

ReputationRep:
    thats bull****

ReputationRep:
    LOL, the horror! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Oh gosh, I flipping hope not. :mute:

ReputationRep:
    If what I see is five times more attractive than what others see, I'd better invest in a paper bag, or a balaclava, or something to that effect.

ReputationRep:
    I'd still look god damn hot even if that's true.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm crying inside.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swords N Thorns)
    Oh gosh, I flipping hope not. :mute:
    Too late Op even has statistically evidence...5 times more good looking, I wonder how they measure such a thing.

ReputationRep:
    How on could that even be calculated? No one will rate themselves ugly if they feel great about themselves it's all subjective on taste

ReputationRep:
    It would be the same for everyone so it would make no difference..

ReputationRep:
    I must look absolutely disgusting to everyone else then.

ReputationRep:
    It's not true, just a myth that circulates on tumblr.

ReputationRep:
    If that's true then I must be hideously ugly!

ReputationRep:
    I feel that statement was made up on the spot.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt that's true...

I guess it could be true for some people, you know - those who think they're the bees' knees but aren't really anything special - but truthfully I think most people are overly critical of themselves when they look in the mirror.

Bleghr, that's a really crappy thing to read when you already think you're not-great-looking. So for my own sake, I'm going to declare it's total bull :lol:

....:unsure:

ReputationRep:
    On a slightly related note, a fact I noticed and found interesting:

A lot of people don't like the way they look in photographs, or if they're seeing themselves on a webcam image etc. because it's a reversal of how they usually see themselves. Usually they see themselves in a mirror, which shows them the "wrong" way round, flipping the image so their left side becomes their right side and vice versa. But a camera will show them the "right" way round, and so it looks unusual to them. Whereas anyone else looking at the photograph will think they look the same as they always do.

Because of this, some video-chat clients (e.g. Facetime) will show you a "wrong way round" mirror-image of yourself when you see your own picture on the screen. But when the other person sees you on their screen, the image is flipped to be the "right way round", making you as photogenic as possible to everyone

ReputationRep:
    That's utter ****e in my opinion lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    On a slightly related note, a fact I noticed and found interesting:

A lot of people don't like the way they look in photographs, or if they're seeing themselves on a webcam image etc. because it's a reversal of how they usually see themselves. Usually they see themselves in a mirror, which shows them the "wrong" way round, flipping the image so their left side becomes their right side and vice versa. But a camera will show them the "right" way round, and so it looks unusual to them. Whereas anyone else looking at the photograph will think they look the same as they always do.

Because of this, some video-chat clients (e.g. Facetime) will show you a "wrong way round" mirror-image of yourself when you see your own picture on the screen. But when the other person sees you on their screen, the image is flipped to be the "right way round", making you as photogenic as possible to everyone
    That actually makes some sense!

My hairdresser blow-dried my side fringe the wrong side when I went there last week. I stared in the mirror for about ten seconds thinking 'something looks wrong...' before I realised that my fringe was the wrong way around. But then I realised that's how people see me anyway. :nooo:

Mind = blown.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, my looks confuse me. I look in the mirror, no makeup, t-shirt and jeans, and I genuinely look quite pretty. Not beautiful, but cute, and I feel good about myself. But I can take a photo right there and then, and the photo will look different - and far less flattering - than what I can see right in front of me. I think I'm just hideously unphotogenic, but from what I've heard, unphotogenic just equals ugly and unwilling to admit it. But I've looked at myself critically in the mirror and I honestly do not look like what I look like in photos. My skin tone and face looks different. I'm slim, but I always look fat in photos because what weight I do have is concentrated around my face and stomach and my face always looks fat in photos. It's just really getting me down, because when I'm in a depressive mood I convince myself I'm deluded and that I'm just really ugly. But occasionally I will take a lovely photo, just out of the blue. My profile picture on Facebook is me, no makeup, not posing, and I actually look pretty and like myself.

...it's just so damn confusing! Stupid society, making us all hyperinsecure.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.