Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hello.

i currently hold unconditional offers to both LLB Law as well as Politics, Philosophy and Law. the former is a standard three-year law degree, whilst the latter is a four-year course (also ultimately a qualifying LLB). although i'm sure i would be allowed to switch were i to change my mind, i need help in deciding which offer to firm for now.

as far as employment and maybe even academia is concerned, PPL would probably be the better choice, as it is a broader qualification. does anyone know anything about the course and its benefits over/disadvantages against a standard law degree?

thank you! x

ReputationRep:
    How come you are sure that you would be allowed to switch? PPL includes only 2 law modules in the first year, while the straight law degree includes at least five. So I don't think you could switch from PPL to straight law for the second year.

About the career prospects, I guess no one could tell as no one has graduated from that particular course yet But if you have looked a few topic below, you would've seen my response to another PPL topic where I recommended downloading the PPL webinar in which a professor at King's explains his view on career prospects quite extensively. Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newinhere)
    How come you are sure that you would be allowed to switch? PPL includes only 2 law modules in the first year, while the straight law degree includes at least five. So I don't think you could switch from PPL to straight law for the second year.

About the career prospects, I guess no one could tell as no one has graduated from that particular course yet But if you have looked a few topic below, you would've seen my response to another PPL topic where I recommended downloading the PPL webinar in which a professor at King's explains his view on career prospects quite extensively. Hope this helps.
    thank you! if it's dr. kletzer's webinar, could you please tell me where i could find it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ziziii)
    thank you! if it's dr. kletzer's webinar, could you please tell me where i could find it?
    just type 'King's Webinars' in google - the second result is a link to all webinars from October

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newinhere)
    PPL includes only 2 law modules in the first year, while the straight law degree includes at least five. So I don't think you could switch from PPL to straight law for the second year.
    Right about PPL but the straight LLB has four modules in year 1. The 'legal services and legal reasoning' element in year 1 may give the impression of being a fully-assessed module like the others but it isn't. It's a series of useful and enjoyable lectures on the English legal system and its history, and while there is a test at the end of the year on it, it doesn't count toward the final grade.

As for switching to straight LLB for year 2, I've heard it may be possible. I get the impression from the department that the fact it might be a bit uncertain as to which modules one would then take in that second year, may not be an insuperable obstacle.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!

I currently hold an offer for LLB Law at King's but I didn't realise that they offered a PPL course. I initially wanted to apply to do Politics at uni but I went for Law instead so the PPL would be the PERFECT course because it combines both studies! So my question is, would it be at all possible to switch courses before September?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fattysaid)
    Hey guys!

I currently hold an offer for LLB Law at King's but I didn't realise that they offered a PPL course. I initially wanted to apply to do Politics at uni but I went for Law instead so the PPL would be the PERFECT course because it combines both studies! So my question is, would it be at all possible to switch courses before September?
    You'd better ask the admissions team about this. I've heard that transfers within the School of Law are possible, but I think only 30 people are accepted in the PPL course so if they ran out of places it might not be easy. I wish you good luck with this though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.