Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'll be wrapping up my god awful Physiology undergrad degree in 28 days forever with pretty low grades because I gave up. I've hated the course for 2 years ( due to stupid CAO (Irish version of the UCAS) choices) but stuck with it for my mum etc . My escape from the course has been looking at language courses and finally do something I adore, hopefully after a year out I'll be applying for a language course in SOAS. Right now I'm definitely leaning towards Arabic and Persian because I want to work with women's and LGBT rights in the future.

Basically I was just wondering if you are a mature student, how did you go about applying? were there interviews etc? I'm still pretty young at 21 so I feel it's weird to call myself a mature student but legally I am, I'm 100 leaving cert (Irish version of A levels) points over the entry requirements for Arabic etc but don't know if I can still go with the undergrad route.

I'm really confused and need help etc. Thanking you.

ReputationRep:
    Hello there

Well i'm 23 and i'm classed as a mature student although i don't "feel" like a mature student. For me, SOAS has always been a dream University to study at and i thought there was no chance I could ever study there as i left school at 16 with basic Standard Grades(Scottish).

My obsession is Nepal and I have wanted to go to SOAS for years to study Nepali. I sent SOAS message about a year ago after coming home from my 3rd trip to Nepal and asked if there were any entry routes for people that lack the qualifications needed. They advised me to take an access course which is for mature students with no qualifications and on completion of this one year course at college I would be considered to study at undergraduate level at Uni.

I then went to do an access course in my home city of Glasgow and i now have 8 weeks to go. I applied to SOAS in December 2012 to study BA South Asian Studies and Nepali and i was given a conditional offer with the condition to pass the access course with grades AAB. It is looking like i will be meeting those grades so i'm confident to say i will be going to SOAS in September

I'm not too sure about how your Irish qualifications to comment on whether you can apply for an undergraduate degree. You could message the undergraduate admissions department and explain and ask them. http://www.soas.ac.uk/admissions/ug/contact/

But if you are looking for another route then i suggest doing an access course. I completed mine in Scotland which I really shouldn't have as SOAS has "partner" colleges in London and they only usually accept access students from those colleges. I was very VERY lucky to be given an offer as my college had no connection at all with SOAS.

ReputationRep:
    I've had previous science study (clinical physiology) and VERY poor A levels. I still recieved 2 offers (Turkish, and Turkish&Persian) I think due mostly to showing a real interest in my PS and discussing my application with the department befre submitting through UCAS.

I'd suggest contacting your preferred department and discussing your application with them, and say why you want to do these languages. Oh and good luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles:

SOAS Guide

Featured accommodation profiles:

Scape Student Living

Scape Student Living

"Brand new super studios at Scape Shoreditch, three minutes away from Old Street station!"

Quick links:

Unanswered SOAS ThreadsFind out what student life in London is really like in students' own wordsStalking pages becomes University Connect, connect to other SOAS applicants now!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.